Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you cover your egg?

bldrbill
bldrbill Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My LBGE stays outside on the patio all the time (about 3 months now) and is not under a roof. Some of the hardware is starting to rust and I know it won't be long until the wooden slats on the side tables start weathering and looking bad. I know there's a cover available. Do y'all keep your egg covered?

Comments

• Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    I most definetely cover Reggie and Gregg Sr.

My sister has Gregg Jr. and she keeps him

covered. I do it to keep the metal parts

from rusting. You can get a cheap cover at

wally world. Also BGE eggquarters sells green

egg covers but where I live advertising having

a green egg is not too bright of an idea

Jan :laugh:
  • Don't have a cover on my Egg. I bought a cover for my XL and table. It didn't fit - it's on my old gaser which doesn't need one since it is Stainless. :laugh:
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    A covered EGG is a happy Egg when not in use. I use a trash bag with two slits on each side to allow air flow on my medium. Cheap and effective. B)
  • Mines been uncovered on the deck for years.... It ain't exactly pretty, but it works just fine. The one at the lake is in the garage, all shiny and new looking... but they both produce the same results. I do cover the one on the deck when it is sleeting/raining/freezing so the top doesn't weld shut. I use a large garbage bag and it works just fine. If it's real cold and snowing it doesn't get covered... just that freezing rain stuff.

Mike in MN
  • Mines been uncovered on the deck for years.... It ain't exactly pretty, but it works just fine. The one at the lake is in the garage, all shiny and new looking... but they both produce the same results. I do cover the one on the deck when it is sleeting/raining/freezing so the top doesn't weld shut. I use a large garbage bag and it works just fine. If it's real cold and snowing it doesn't get covered... just that freezing rain stuff.

Mike in MN
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Yes, I have the table and egg cover for my large from BGE and it works great. The work surface is always snow and ice free and clean when I want to use it.
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    I hit the metal parts with "Pam Grilling " spray a couple times a year. So far no rust.
  • Covered, my garage is now been turned into the Egg Kingdom. I just roll them out and fire them up. I like them being nice and secure. For some reason I value their safety more than I ever did my Weber gasser(s). :laugh:
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Just FYI...I got a BGE cover for my large. It is big enuf to cover my egg and table. The first time we got a downpour the cover leaked. I brought it back to the dealer, he exchanged it with no problem. After the next rain it leaked also. So after a rain I uncover and dry thing off.
    They are supposed to all weather covers. :angry:

Bob

Opelika, Alabama
  • I've kept my wife covered for years and she hasn't rusted at all. And, I have kept my Egg covered since the day I bought it 10 years ago and the bottom vent is just now showing a little rust.
  • I cover mine but it's more for the table than the Egg.

I too have a BGE cover and after rain there will be some wet on my table, but that's why you have the wood protected with a sealer or varnish. Te gloves, grill light and other equipment I have on the lower shelf and 90% of the top stays dry. And the amount of moisture that finds it's way inside through the vent in the cover is minimal.
  • I have kept mine covered most of this winter. The weather has been so bad that I have not egged as much as I had planned to. I had a problem with mold growing in the Egg when I do not us it for a while. I have found that by leaving the top hat cover off, proping the cover (lid) up slightly by using a block of wood wedged between the Egg table and the lid handle to keep the lid(top) open about 1/2 to 1 inch, and leaving the bottom vent wide open with screen closed while coverd with the vented BGE cover has solved my mold problem. It also ensures that the lid will not freeze to the bottom gasket. Also, by proping the lid by the lid handle, I do not compress the gasket by inserting anything inbetween to keep the lid open. Air circulation is the key and the BGE cover is vented and allows air flow through the egg. So in all, I keep mine covered whenever it's not in use and mold has not been a problem even in the hot humid summer months.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,869
    Sure do! I'm a firm believer in buying the best I can reasonably afford and then take care of it whether it be tools, equipment and of course my BGEs. I use BGE covers 6 months and then tarps in the winter months when the Southern sunshine beats down.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bldrbill
    bldrbill Posts: 28
    Thanks to all for your responses. I'm ordering a cover. For what the egg costs, a few more bucks for a cover to protect it from the elements seems like a good decision.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    This is a happy egg :) BGE Cover...
    GreenEgg030.jpg
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Ours is mostly covered. It's outside in the open as well. The problem that we come acros is that if we use it and it rains before the egg cools off enough to put the cover back, then we have to wait for the rain to stop and it to dry enough to put it back on. In Washington, this can be problematic! We don't have the wooden things tho and I have not noticed any rusting anywhere on the egg itself.

Gwen
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    as a nudist, i'd never cover up what god made perfect. and for the same reason, i never cover the egg.

:unsure:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante