Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Love Thy Neighbor

2»

Comments

• Watch out Mike! Things can go bad real quick. About a month ago there were two guys who shot each other over how one of them was mowing his lawn (only in S. FLA). I think the advise is right on the mark. Although, I would definitely start that diary (as mentioned earlier). It never hurts to let the law know there is an issue boiling. A neighbor just went through some problems with the daughters wacko boyfriend. Always good to get things on the record. Good Luck Mike.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Welcome to Florida. Sounds typical. Maybe he will be the next Homeowners Association president.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Well Mike, it seems that your village has not lost it's idiot! I think an investment in an outdoor camera system would be smart for proving trouble in the aftermath. It's going to be tough to always keep a watchful eye on him as your cooking, especially on lonnnnggg cooks. As several folks have stated, make sure you document the situation and I would request a copy of the police report from your earlier visit from the popo. It may shed some light on his disposition if they stoked "his" fire, rather addressing his concern. Seeing as you fed the cop and had a great long conversation, it stands to reason neighborman didn't accomplish what he wanted. I think you are handling the situation great so far,but I fear he may not.

I own the house next door to me and then I have a lake behind my houses. People always ask why I don't rent it out. My reply is always "because fish make better neighbors; they never borrow your stuff or play their music too loud, and you can't hear them fighting late at night!" Haha.

The other problem is, now if anything even remotely strange happens, you'll have him in your sights. I hope you can defuse this soon.

If you need to hide your eggs for their safety, I can give you my address. :woohoo:
  • Got up to day 16 and had to get out! Wild!!

(Gagging sounds in the background)
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Sorry to hear about the crazy old guy acting foolish. As stike mentioned, could be mental health issues. Document what has happened, keep a camera at hand just in case. Be careful, I don't trust him. Work around him by talking to his wife, she is the one that really knows what's going on and is able to reason. See if you can find some backgrond history on you-know-who.
    I hope this blows over. Installing a security camera is not a bad idea.
    Clay
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Hey Mike!! After meeting you & Sabrina in Ocala I've seen your easy going personality and think your handling it great. Like others have said you can't let your guard down (CYA). When we first moved in the neighbor wouldn't wave, say high or anything remotely friendly.Wendy even thought he was trying to poison one of our Elm trees because of the leaves. After about 5 years it evolved into whoever finished cutting the yard first would grab 2 beers and we would just sit & enjoy under the Elm. For the last 5 years before he passed away we were best buddies. He would wait out front for me to get home from work just to talk and ask what I was cooking that night. Of all the expensive things we would Egg his favorite was always the Pat Burgers :laugh: . Point is there is always hope and maybe he just doesn't know how nice you both are. I still bring food 3-5 times a week to the widow and seems to make her day.
    Hope it all turns aroud for you buddy but dont let your guard down.
    Say hi to Sabrina for us
    Pat
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    :) I pretty much know all my neighbors... We had a progressive dinner at Christmas. Even the Crazy Lady that hates all dogs in General was even there. I made a point to be extra nice and talk to her. Oh well things are pretty good since I got the Invisible fence. My greatest success is that my Neigbor bought A large BGE :) after I kept taking him samples his teenage son cuts my lawn for me in the summer.
    ~Pharmeggist
    I see a few potential eggers in the future LOL!
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    I agree with what some of the others said . Start a log of what is happening and be sure and include dates. Install a motion sensor light.

Continue being nice to him and talking with the wife. I probably would not phone the cops unless he comes over again with water or anything else. Then I would just file a complaint.

Good luck!
    Gwen
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Sounds like Pat has some good thoughts. Who knows what the future will bring.

Sounds like the wife has a huge burden to deal with of which she is aware of.

Kent