Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate setter

Options
billex
billex Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone tell me the benifits of a Plate setter, I know you can invert it to help smoking, but what else?? i want to smoke more food but can't find any fire bricks, is the plate setter my best choice?
billex

Comments

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    billex,
    The plate setter makes it more convenient for doing indirect cooks. You can put it in with feet up, put drip pan under it to catch any drippings; leave the grill in place, put the plate setter in with feet down and add a pizza stone and it not only does it add the needed ceramics for cooking a pizza or bread but it also raises the cooking level, making it easier to get the food off.
    Some folks prefer fire bricks; some the plate setter. I prefer the plate setter.

• Unknown
    Options
    billex,
    I did a boston butt one day this past weekend and ribs another day, both using the plate setter.

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    Kelvin,
    Did you just lay the Boston butt on top of the plate setter, or did you put the grill grid on top of it?

• billex
    billex Posts: 27
    Options
    Shelby, so the only other use it has besides indirect cooks is for cooking pizza? I have a grill extender, would a plate setter still be an adventage for indirect cooks or do i really need one.
    Thank for your input
    billex

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    billex,
    If you can't find firebricks, then the plate setter would be a good way to introduce ceramic between the meat and the fire. It is useful for shielding anything from the fire.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    Gloria,
    I had the plate setter upside down, drip pan, then grill, the the butt on the grill.