Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasted Suckling Pig

Junkyard Perro
Junkyard Perro Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_1068_edited.jpg
Hey all ..[p]Just finished cooking a " Suckling Pig " .. ![p]1. 11.5 lbs Suckling Pig.
2. Marinate with a " Adobo Seasoning Sauce " two days before cooking
3. Cooking Time: 3 Hours.
4. Internal Temp: 165 degrees.
[p]Overall not bad for my first try .. The Rear Legs (Ham )were the size of large Turkey leg & tasted very similar. I will try next time on " Brining " one just like I would a Turkey : i.e ; " Salt/Brown Sugar/Fresh Herbs /plus maybe an added Apple or Orange Juice ", overnight.

LARGE EGG
Cooking Temp : 350 degrees

J.P.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    If you let them grow up you'll get more meat out of them :woohoo:

try this the next time: Porchetta
  • IMG_1069_edited.jpg
    <p />Hey All,
    Just another " Photo "[p][p]

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    JunkyardPerro,[p]
    that is great i have not seen a "Whole Pig" on an egg...........[p]
    looks tastey[p][p]
    BTW::: you may get more responses later over at the new forun Click HERE to go over there[p]man i like the looks of that squeeler!!!! LOL[p][p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Hey BENTE ,[p]I hadn't seen anyone else that might have tried one on the " EGG " & decided to post my results. [p]I was slightly disappointed with the Marinade .. The Meat was very moist & tasty , but it needed just a bit more added flavor... The Marinade only seasoned the ouside flesh. I would highly suggest the " Meat injector Seasoning " thing, or Brine it to penetrate & Season , just a tad more to enhance the flavor of the meat. I could have let it set for anther hour, as there was still alot of fat under the skin, which would keep the meat moist. [p]I also wouldn't go over a 15 lbs Pig,it was a tight fit length wise. [p]J.P. [p][p][p]
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Looks good, but there is no way I could get my family to eat it.
    I have to do lobster tails, because they won’t eat a lobster that “looks back at them.”
    Once, when my son was 6, we were driving past a pasture and my son asked if those were hamburger cows or steak cows. I figured he was going to turn out alright. Then a couple years ago he refused to even sit down at the table with ‘Sidney’, the whole lobster I’d cooked for him.
  • metrylee
    metrylee Posts: 94
    do you eat the Head also ?
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Us hillbillys would turn them into Souse meat.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    No. The legs and claws are the best parts. The tail and roe aren't bad either.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    That looks wonderful. I'll bet that the skin was fantastic!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Pretty pig you did! Keep it up.
    How about a mojo marinade? I bet that would be real good.
    Thanx for the pics,
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • nice!

what temp was the egg at during the cook?
  • That looks great! How big is your Egg? I can't tell if it's a medium or a large.
  • Crash
    Crash Posts: 32
    Great picture! I need to visit a real butcher or become a better hunter! I want to try that with a long slow pulled pork recipe. Kind of a pork pulling in minature.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Wow, I have always wanted to roast a piggy in the egg ...... yours looks great!!!!
    The setup you have looks good, thanks for the pictures.
    Congratulations on cooking a whole piggy!
    Clay
  • I am envious. I have always wanted to cook a pig as I remembered my uncle doing it. In fact i almost bought a La Casa China but bought the Egg for its versatility. Please send all of the particulars as I would really like to try that.

Thanks

John
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    remember, skin is waterproof. that's it's chief purpose!

marinade won't get through skin... (another reason why smoke doesn't "penetrate" meat)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I am jealous, does that thermometer really say 80 degrees?
  • Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    I agree, All the time I've been eggin' I've never seen anyone do a whole piglet. Great job.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Felicidades!!!!! does look great.........I¨ll have to try this one for sure......done some lechones on my big oven......but none on my egg.....yours stands out........congratulations again, thanks for sharing and Buen Provecho!!....By the way, could you tell me how you made the base to stand the piggy????
  • WOW!! Looks great. I here they are GREAT tastingl
    Marc
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    If you were to cut off the head, how large of a pig do you think would fit?
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    ...you show respect for a good and innovative chef...grow up!!!!!!!!!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    JunkyardPerro,
    i was just back over here looking around while WMK is working on the new forum and noticed your post.... i was hoping that you seen all the other replies you got over there at the new forum Click Hereto go over there[p]i am really sorry i missed this message... i hope you will come over to there and see the other responses you had[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• JunkyardPerro,[p]Nice suckling pig...... makes me wish I was cooking one this weekend. May I ask where you got that nice cast iron grate in the pic?[p]
    Thanks[p]Get Sirius

• Hey BENTE & everyone else ,[p]I'll try and answer any & all questions on the " NEW " Forum. So,lets all follow Bentes advice ..![p]J.P.

• get sirius,[p]All of my equipment was Purchased at the " BBQ Galore " in Valencia.. The Cast Iron Grating & Green Egg Apron were purchased directly from " Green Egg Co ".[p]J.P

• get sirius,[p]All of my equipment was Purchased at the " BBQ Galore " in Valencia.. The Cast Iron Grating & Green Egg Apron were purchased directly from " Green Egg Co ".[p]J.P

• Yup ,

2130 hrs & it was in the " 80 " Saturday night .. !

J.P.
  • Yup,

I ate the head a few days later & thought the meat tasted better than fresh off the griil .. !

J.P.
  • Hi ,

I've never had any personal experince cooking pork with the skin on , and didn't know what to expect ... ? I would do a few things differently as some have already suggested;

1. Marinade the meat under the skin with " Goya ; Mojo Criollo Marinade " using a Meat Injector type of Device : I had a large 24 oz bottle in the Fridge , but I didn't want to interfere or clash with the " ADOBO SAUCE " already on the Piggy.

2. Aluminum Foil all four Feet , along with the Ears.

3. Cook at a lower Temp ( 300 ) until internal Temps reach 170 degrees : I used a Digital Steel Cabled Thermometer @ 165.

4. Allow for a longer Cooking Time : 4-6 hours : I was busy doing some other projects in the morning/ afternoon & started the Piggy later than I had originally planned. I took it off the grill & took the photos at about 2130 hrs ? It was getting a bit late for dinner .

I would like to personaly thank the Meat Manager at my local Valencia , CA " Vallarta Market " for my special order " PIGGY ".. !

J.P.