Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonights dinner

Options
billex
billex Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to treat the wife with a Rib-eye tonight. I would also like to cook some baked pototos, any suggustion as to the way i should do the pototoes..ie. how long should they be on the grill before the rib-eyes go on? Should i flavor the pototoes? should I flavor the rib-eyes?[p]Thanks
billex

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    billex:[p]Brush the potatoes with olive oil and season with a rub or seasoning salt of your choice. In a preheated cooker cook the potatoes for about an hour prior to grilling the steaks. You can pull the potatoes and cover with foil until the steaks are ready.[p]Regarding the steaks, ask your Princess what she would like.
  • billex
    Options
    djm5x9,At what temp should I cook the pototoes?
    Once again
    Thanks

• djm5x9
    Options
    billex:[p]Sorry, 325º/350º and turn them a couple of times. The skin may start to burn a bit if you place them in the center of the grill over the "hot spot". If this happens, move the potatoes to the outer edges of the grill.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    billex,
    I put my potatoes in the microwave on the baked potato setting (about 7 minutes each) to get them about 85% done. Then I olive oil them and sprinkle a liberal amount of kosher salt on them before wrapping in foil and placing on the Egg while it is warming up for the steak. By the time the steak is ready, the potatoes are perfect. Works every time.[p]Spring Chicken

• djm5x9
    Options
    SC:[p]Try those taters once without the foil and microwave and 100% on the cooker!
    [/b]
  • Cap'n
    Cap'n Posts: 72
    Options
    billex,
    Glad to hear you are putting your egg to good use. The low and slow John and I set up came off 18 hours later (at 205 degrees internal temp) and we had quite a feast. When is your father-in-law joining the ranks?
    Cap'n

• Unknown
    Options
    Hi billex,[p]I tried a Perini Ranch Steak Rub last month that worked out very good.[p]1 tablespoon corn starch or flour
    2 tablespoons salt
    4 teaspoons coarse ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    4 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon granulated beef stock base[p]Makes about 1/2 cup
    They suggest applying the rub and cooking immediately so the salt doesn't pull moisture out of the meat.

• billex
    Options
    Cap'n, hopefully very soon
    Listen, we had a blast on Saturday, Let me get the hang of this thing and have you guys over (glad you found a handle)[p]billex