Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak Cooking Question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey I have been cooking a bunch of steaks lately and have an interest in seeing if there is a way to get steaks beyond rare without "charring" them. Most of the time I am cooking 8-12 oz from 1/2 to 1 inch thick... 3 minutes a side at 700-750 degrees with the lid closed, daisy wheel removed. Most of the time I go for 1-2 minutes dwell with the air off.
With the hot fires I have I am getting quite a bit of flame while cooking. My steaks are usually very good but sometimes I get a little more char than I would like. Any ideas to help?

Comments

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Andrew Flashback,
    You could use a thicker steak. But you can also cook at 500 to 550 and get an acceptable product that is not charred. ESPIRMENT! you can't drag a bad steak out of an egg. Unless you leave in in there for an hour. Good luck

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Andrew Flashback,[p]I think what you would be wanting to do, is to increase the dwell time, and decrease the sear time. If you are doing 3/3/3 (3 minutes each side at full on, followed by a 3 minute dwell), try doing a 2/2/5. The dwell really dictates the extent to which the steak is cooked, while the sear gives you that great look we all want.[p]During the dwell, with the vents closed, once the internal air is consumed, there won't be any more flame to burn your steak.[p]--sdb
  • Unknown
    Options
    Andrew Flashback,
    Raise your grid and great steaks will follow.

• WudEyeDoo
    WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
    Options
    sdbelt,
    You are right about the dwell time. The egg has really been great for me since I like steaks med. rare, my son lkes med, and my wife likes med. well. All 3 steaks get the same amount of "sear time" and then I just dwell their steaks a little longer and they turn out great with no charring on the outside, just a good sear. Everybody is happy that way!

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Options
    Andrew Flashback,
    Lower that temp dude! I like 500-550, three minutes per side then one three minute dwell for medium rare or flip it for another three minute dwell for medium. Duplicate two more three minute dwells for a doneness that would suit anyone. You already have charred with rare down. If you leave your temps up that high, you CAN'T get it more done without burning the outside. I don't like doing steaks that high because it burns all the seasonings off. You'll get a great char taste but that's about all you'll get.