Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome Temps vs Grate Temps

Options
Tuck
Tuck Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did my 3rd cook last night and my chicken was taking forever cooking. I threw an oven thermometer on the grate and while my Dome was registering 425, my grate was only 375. Last week, I put the dome thermometer in boiling water and it read 210, so I'm pretty sure its registering correctly. Is a 50 degree difference normal? I was cooking with the platesetter in, if that makes any difference?

I cooked chicken cordon bleu last night. No pics though. It turned out really good but it took a while. Once I realized my grate was lower, I opened it up a bit more and it finished up nicely. While I'm still learning how to cook on the Egg, I think I'll keep using the oven thermometer.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    i do more raised grid cooking than anything, temps are hotter up top. if your following a recipe from this forum check out how they set things up and most give temps as dome temps here, if its a grate temp in the recipe we say grate temp. recipes taken from the web need modifications just like your already doing. you do need to keep in mind your particular setup, there are differences using platesetters, pizza stones, just a pan, or going direct on how the heat seems to flow and settle
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Yes, that is normal although usually not quite 50' difference. That is one of the reasons why a lot of people use a raised grid to get the food higher in the dome and closer to the dome temp. All part of the learning curve. Enjoy & welcome.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    When I started cooking on an egg I noticed a temp difference too. My solution was similar to yours,I purchased an "on grill temp gauge". It helped quite a bit while I was adjusting to the egg. But once you've cooked up in the dome or lower towards the coals for fast sears, you'll be able to adjust pretty quickly to the normal grate level. Below is a pic of the temp gauge on the pizza stone.

DSCI0007.jpg
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Good Lord, son! Why don't you cover that pizza stone with foil? :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    one thing you don't want to worry about....

if a recipe here says "250 degrees", don't correct for the difference in grate temp, and make it 250 at the grate, and 300 at the dome. most temps quoted here are dome-temp.

it won't ruin your cook, but it will change cook times....
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Big'un
    Options
    Oh sure, now you tell me.Haha. A quick push of the putty knife cleans it pretty well. That stone is so dark that The next time I clean my oven, I'm going to throw it in. The smoke alarm will probabley go off, but the house should have that great BBq smell.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    why not just let the egg clean it at high temp? no smoke alarm worries....
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Tuck
    Tuck Posts: 54
    Options
    This was a recipe we saw an Emeril's. It actually called for being in the oven but we figured we'd try it on the Egg. It turned out good but it went for about 35 minutes instead of the 20 minutes it said on the recipe.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    I used one of those some too...
    Orange-BourbonSalmon002.jpg

till I got the glass all smoked up and couldn see it... :whistle:
  • Big'un
    Options
    You're probabley right! I just hate to crank up the egg when there's no food involved. Haha.