Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

large or extra large??

edited 6:50PM in EggHead Forum
I am trying to decide what size of big green egg to purchase. I am almost a newly wed with no kids. we like to entertain so there may be up to 10-20 people at times. I cook a lot of burgers, briskets, butts, and ribs. I was planning on building a table for my new egg. I received an email from the place i am going to buy my egg and he is running a special on the large eggs (save $142; i think they start at $599 or $699). I was going to call him tomorrow and see if i could get a discount on the extra large. anyways any advice would be helpful. i just don't want to kick myself later if u know what i mean. thanks
·

Comments

• Eric,

Buy two! I actually had the same dilemma and scenario as you...no kids, entertain, "relatively" newlywed and thought I needed an XL. I found the XL was great for those parties, but too big for when I wanted to fire up something for two...soooo.....I bought a large to go with my XL a month ago. I can cook nearly as much at once and it has far more "aftermarket" eggcessories available to use with it, and I've found I want them ALL. That being said, I now plan to use both when I entertain. One for the main event and the other for sides, etc. Just my 2 cents..
    ·
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,768
    Large.. I regularly feed my family from the large (12-15 adults, 2-7 children). I cater with my XL and feed 50-100 people.

I figured it out with the rack extender I will be able to get 6-8 pork butts on the large. That is a lot of folks to feed.

Also consider the Large weighs in at 140 pounds unloaded. The XL is a whopping 200 pounds unloaded.
    ·
  • I have an XL and like it a lot. But if I were starting over I would get a large and a small for the same cost of an XL. I have only cooked on a large one time but it sure seemed like the temps were easier to control. Geauxing for a small soon.
    ·
  • BigCharBigChar Posts: 113
    Hey CW - Cooking double decker with the pork butts - do they all get done about the same time, no matter if top or bottom? I assume you are going indirect here....
    ·
    They get done with-in 10-20 minutes of each other.
    ·
    Nice. Thanks! Going for my first Butt this weekend - I went to Sam's and all they had were two-packs. That's a lot of butt, but I bet I can fit it. $16 not too much of an investment. any pointers?
    ·
    Two will most likely finish at the same time. 8 to 10 need an adjustment. :woohoo:
    ·
    Wow - and I thought TWO was a lot of butt!!!! :P
    ·
  • PharmeggistPharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Hey Eric,
    I have a Large & Small BGE for about the same Price as an XL. I can do steaks on the small and do Boston Butts on the large.... Versatility!!! Simultaneous cooks B) My wife got me a mini for Easter for us to go camping with and for tailgating. If I could only have one egg I would definately still have the Large! If the day ever comes I need to cook more I would add another Large Egg! Hope this helps! I know XL owners Love there eggs too! I have heard some do the XL and MEdium BGE as complimentry pair. Whatever, Egg you decide you get you will enjoy it. If I could I would Get an XL and Medium just to see what I am missing. HOwever, My wife would go missing at that point if you know what I mean :laugh:
    ~Pharmeggist
    ·
    Between the six eggs I'll be cooking 27 to 30 of them in June.. Got to feed 1000 marines and their families don't you know.
    ·
    My wife asked "What the hail you need with four eggs?" (She is southern)

I replied.. Chicken, Ribs, Pork and Brisket.

She just shook her head when I brought home 5 and 6.. Hmmmm think I'll name the new small Six. Just hope she doesn't start to glow when she is rubbed..
    ·
  • Just hope she doesn't start to glow when she is rubbed..

The wife or the new egg?

B) JET
    ·
    You missed the reference!!

NEXT :woohoo:
    ·
  • KCKC Posts: 91
    CW,
    Post a picture of the setup the next time you cook 6-8 butts on a large egg. I have a large eggmand I am planning on cooking for a large group for Memorial Day so being able to stack 6-8 boston butts on a large egg at one time would be great. Thanks
    ·
    You need to talk to tjv first :)
    ·
  • I think i might try out the large. the xl just seems like it will be huge and i know the price is discounted on the large. thanks to everyone who helped out. sorry if my question was a repost.
    ·
  • FrankCFrankC Posts: 414
    Hey Eric,

I was having the same problem, and the nice folks here gave me the same advice, go with 2 instead of the XL. I've decided on the large and the medium, and will be buying them at the end of April. I can't wait!
    ·
  • OkeejohnOkeejohn Posts: 291
    Cater?? Wow. Often thought about it but did not hear of anyone ever doing it. How do you transport the Egg?

John
    ·
  • Michael BMichael B Posts: 986
    If the price of the XL doesn't scare you, get a large and a small.
    The XL is a fine cooker, but few actually need that much grid space.
    A large - small combination is fantastic.
    ·