Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork??? I am Dazed and Confused!!!

Options
Byrdo
Byrdo Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The past several weeks there has been a ton of talk about Pulled Pork. This is one of the main reasons I purchased my BGE. However, I am a newbie at both the BGE and PP.[p]Getting to the point.... I am very confused about it all. I have heard about Boston Butts, Picnic shoulders, Turbo Butts(I have this one figured out), leaving the bone in and out, removing the fat or skin layer(I am not sure which). I have to cook some PP for a Memorial Day Party and I don't know where to start. Can someone tell me what is the safest bet if any? I also want to do a trial run while at work, is this feasible? If so, please tell me what is the best time to start the cooking.[p]Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Byrdo,
    Fear not. Go to the recipie section and use Elder Ward's method. If you are a beginner, forget all other advice and follow this to a tee. You may let the temp cook a little above 200*, up to 225. Do this and experiment from there. It's a sure thing, each time, every time. For your NEXT butt, come back for some short cuts and different methods... you'll thank yourself...

Apollo Beach, FL
  • BobbyG
    BobbyG Posts: 67
    Options
    Byrdo,
    Ok Brydo, take a deep breath and follow these instructions. I just "pulled" off another successful "butt" and life is good. Lots of happy family members, and most important, the MOMs were happy!![p]I've got a Medium BGE and here is what I did. 1. Buy a Boston Butt, mine was 8lb.(I did not remove any fat or anything) 2. Rub with lots of dry rub and let set for a couple of hours in refrig. 3. load the Egg with lump fuller than you ever have before. I fill mine almost all the way to the grate. 4. If you use fire bricks then set that up, I use a medium BGE pizza stone instead. This provides an indirect heat. 5. stabalize temperature from 225* to 250* 6. Put in soaked wood chips of your preference, I used pecan. I used two large handfuls.(a little tricky because everything is hot) 7. Put down a drip pan and fill partly with water 8. I use a BGE "V" rack and put in the "butt" 9. Make sure your digital thermometer is in the middle and set temp to 190*. 10. Now your done, pull, discard fat and bone and EAT !![p]I read a link the other day that helps. Just do the things you know and have read here on the forum and try not to worry too much. I put my butt on at 9pm. When I woke up at 3:30am (just by chance) the Egg temp was about 270(higher than I wanted) and the butt temp was 192*. I was too tired to take it off at that time of the morning so I closed the vents to a crack to ensure the temps to slowly start falling. When I got up at 8am, it was perfect !![p]Good luck and don't worry, it's only $10 to try again !![p]BobbyG

• Ellen aka Gormay
    Options
    Dear Byrdo,[p]I, like you, had never made pulled pork before. I read so many different methods and references to plateaus and other "quirks" of this low and slow cook that I wasn't sure what to do either. [p]The best advice I can give you is to just "go for it" and hope for the best. I had problems with my first cook, but discussing the results with forum friends was the best education of all. I have cooked a second butt and it was much improved. I know the next one will be even better. It's a learn as you go process. If you can, have that trial cook and if at once you don't succeed, trial, trial again![p]Ellen
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Byrdo,
    Just sent you Elder Ward's instructions for PP Not to worry you'll look back and wonder why you were worried...WE promise.

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    BobbyG,[p]I guess that would have been a "turbo butt". The ones I have done would have gone closer to 3:30 PM the next afternoon. Are yours usually done this fast? Just curious and wouldn't want Byrdo to think 6-1/2 hours for an 8 pound butt was the norm. Have a great day.[p]Chuck <><

• BobbyG
    Options
    Chuck,
    Great point. I should have pointed out that the temperature is the key. I'm not sure if the butt that I chose had less connective tissue and thus cooked to the 190* temp quicker. When I woke at 3:30am I was shocked to see my butt at the target temperature.[p]That brings up a good question. I purchased my boston butt at a good meat market in the Atlanta Area. Do you think it was a better quality pork butt? and the reason for the quicker cook?

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    BobbyG,[p]I have no idea why you got such a fast cook. It would be interesting to see if others you buy from the same market produce the same faster times. I would imagaine that the way they trim them could be a reason why but I'm just guessing. [p]Do you find the quality of the finished product to be as good as a longer cook? If it is, it would great to be able to reproduce the quicker cook when time is an issue (i know time should never be an issue with good Que but .....). [p]Let us know how you make out if you do another one from the same meat market. [p]Chuck <><

• Unknown
    Options
    Byrdo,
    All of the comments below are sound and sage but no one addressed your question about doing a trial cook while at work. I can't speak for everyone on this matter but I know that I would not do this. [p]As versatile as the egg is, it is still susceptible to the same problems all cookers have, and those of course are related to temperature control. You might run the risk of temps spiking too high for too long or on the other extreme, the fire going out.[p]A low and slow cook may last as long as 20 hours or more and although it doesn’t require constant attention it does require some. That being said, I wouldn’t recommend it unless you can leave work occasionally to check on it.[p]Just my .02
    Matt.

• Unknown
    Options
    BobbyG, I also have a medium, and it seems I can't get a long cook out of mine either. I cooked a butt indirect at 225, and it was 205 at about 11 hours. I also had the same problem with smoking a turkey at Christmas. The turkey was cooked long before it should have been. I figured I would experiment some more. I too would be curious if this is normal for medium Eggs.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Sundown,
    Is Elder Ward's instructions in the archieves somewhere or could you please email it to me.
    Thanks!

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Shelby,
    We have used Mr. Wards technique both times we have done pulled pork. The first time we even used his rub recipe. Second cook was done with BGE rub on one, and Dizzy Pig on the other. The results were great both times. Here is a link to the pages. [p]~nikkig

[ul][li]North Carolina Style Pulled Pork — Elder Ward[/ul]
  • BobbyG
    Options
    Chuck,
    Another funny thing is that I talked with a guy this weekend with one of those very large commercial type smokers on wheels. He showed me how he cooks boston butt's. He smokes them using oak logs for fire and the meat is heated indirect. He maintains a temperature of 250* and said that his 8 pounders always cook in eight hours to a temp of 190*. [p]I'll keep tinkering with it. [p]See ya,
    BobbyG