Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Give this a try!

Options
Janet
Janet Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday I posted about a Julia Child episode where a chef did a steak directly on the lump. Gave it a try tonight and it was terrific!
I put some nice fresh and large chunks of lump in the egg and got it good and hot. Then I put 2 rib eyes directly on the lump, let them sizzle for about 2 minutes (with lid open), turned them, let them sizzle 2 minutes more. Then put them on the grid and back in the egg and dwelled them for about 4 minutes.
There was no residue left on the steaks, they had a nice crust, and they were great.
In my research, I found that this was Dwight Eisenhower's favorite way to have steak. He is my birth president, so maybe it's an age thing! Give it a try!

Comments

• Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    Options
    Janet,you cook the meat right on the lump?? and no lump was on the steak??? wow have never heard of this method...might have to give it a shot and let the wife take the first taste:)

• Janet
    Options
    Vegas Slim,
    When I headed out the door to put the steaks on, my husband was rummaging in the fridge for an alternative dinner - just in case. He has no faith! He ended up saying it was the best steak he'd had off the egg.[p]BTW, when I turned the steaks, a couple of pieces of lump were stuck to them, but they were easily flicked off. The lump left absolutely no residue on the steak.[p]Good luck!

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Janet,
    Hmmmmm..... I am assuing the lump that actually touched the meat was red hot? Were there any "black" pieces of lump that the meat touched?? Trying to get an estimate of how hot you had the egg before putting them on. I will try this...

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Janet
    Options
    Wardster,
    Yup - everything was red hot. I let the egg heat up for a bit longer than usual to make sure (also wanted to burn off any possible residues on older lump).[p]

• mike
    mike Posts: 152
    Options
    Janet, I did 4 NY Strips trying this method tonight. They turned out great. I did have to pick off some pieces of lump, but there was no residue. A definate do again.[p][p][p][p][p][p][p][p]
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Janet,
    Another method is to coat one side of the steak heavily with cheap mustard, then pack that side with rock salt. put salt/mustard side directly on coals. Before turning, coat top heavily with mustard and pack with rock salt. When done, mustard and rock salt will lift right off and the meat is excellent.