Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Heat

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Alright! I have bought my large BGE and spent the last week building a cart to wheel it around. Now I wonder about heat... I have seen pictures of people's examples: some use stepping stones and others appear to sit the egg directly on wood shelving. Since I treated the cart with spar urethane, I question sitting it directly on the wood, however I wonder what I can get away with. Would a piece of terracotta work? It seems that it would be OK having been fired itself. But not knowing how hot the BGE will get leaves me to wonder. This is the final step before I can put it in place and fire it up! I look forward to any advice!
Thanks, Jody

Comments

• buffy
    buffy Posts: 9
    Jody,
    It's real simple. Use the green feet they sent with the egg (there should be 3). I bought 3 more to make it more stable. You really need air underneath to keep from burning the table. Even with a stone or cement step, the wood will get nasty hot and burn with time. I learned the hard way. Just my 2 cents.

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339

You'll be ok with a thick enough stepping stone. I use one that's 18 inches in diameter and 2 inches thick. No problem. But don't put it right onto the wood, for sure.

• Charcoal Mike
    Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
    Jody,[p]Absolutely, positively, do not put it on wood. I started with mine directly on a porcelain (not ceramic) tile, and after a handful of cooks the tile basically exploded. I then went to a 1.5" thick stone slab. This cracked after one cook. I am now back to a new tile, but the difference is that I am using the feet. No problems so far, but that should give you an idea of how hot the bottom gets.[p]I'm not sure if I would put the egg directly on the wood though, even with the feet. Others may have tried this, but it would make me really nervous - especially with hot coals possibly jumping out of the bottom.[p]My 2 cents.[p]- Mike

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Jody,
    Mine's fine resting on the feet with no extra stone underneath. I also keep a bed of ash in the bottom as extra insulation, taking care when I clean out the ashes to leave about an inch as a "cushion." Of course now that I've said this, my table will probably burn up![p]cheers,
    Gretl

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Jody,
    I use the feet also but I set them on top of some split firebrick...It leaves me a very nice air gap directly below the egg..[p]Wess

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Jody,
    I use the feet that came with the Egg and have had no problems!

• BurnedBottom.JPG
    <p />Jody,
    Definately put *something* under the egg.[p]My cart's assembly directions specificaly stated that you did NOT have too, but as you can see from the photo, they were very wrong.[p]My two larges now have a layer of bricks between them and the cart.[p]bc