Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib-it

Options
Nu-Guy
Nu-Guy Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This weekend was my first time doing ribs on my new BGE. I looked up the "Apple City Baby Back Ribs" found on pg. 75 of Smoke & Spice. Followed step by step. They called for 200 to 220 degrees and 3 hours time. Pulled them off and you guessed it, not done. I had to bring up the temp and cook another hour or two. Guess my question is... Are the recipes in this book designed for smokers that smoke out the moisture and therefore take less time and or lower temps than what the BGE requires? Do I need to smoke the food using recipes in Smoke & Spice at higher temps and or longer times?

Comments

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Nu-Guy,
    Although I've got the book, I haven't tried any of the recipes. My experience with baby backs is that for 3 hours time, you need to run the Egg at about 250F. They'll take only about 1 3/4 hours at 300F. Both of these are direct heat. For a real good example of indirect heat, see NB's Ginger Mahogany Ribs in the new recipes section of this forum.
    JimW

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Nu-Guy,[p]It might just be something us old-timers take for granted. The dome temperature as indicated on the BGE thermometer runs 25-40 degrees higher than the temp at the cooking level. For low and slow cooking at 225* run the large Egg around 260-270*[p]K~G

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    KennyG,
    Not all of us assume these things.[p]Tim

• Nu-Guy
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to help me. I came from the dark side of grilling, a 15 year old Sumbeam gas grill. I am excited about my Egg. I hope that all the veterans will understand when someone first comes over to the Eggside. I've a lot to learn, so please realize, that what seems a stupid question to you may just be the learning curve for me. Thanks!

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    MBR_Ribs02.jpg
    <p />JimW, - Just in case you wanted to see a picture of NB's Ginger Mahogany Ribs. They were great.

[ul][li]Ribs by NB[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Nu-Guy,
    You won't find anyone around here that thinks your questions are stupid. So ask away! We all started somewhere, and as the new guy on the block, I can assure you we are more than happy to answer any questions that come up, and look forward to hearing of your adventures![p]Welcome.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nu-Guy
    Options
    Gfw,
    You guys are driving me crazy! Thanks for the pics.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Nu-Guy, as you browse the forum, you'll learn it's real purpose - user helping user. If I can be of any assistance, please let me know.

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]