Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No-knead pizza again

Boatman
Boatman Posts: 854
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Made no-knead pizza again with great results. Finally a dough that is easy to make and produces good results. As always, you make the call B)
Going in the egg
IMG_0919.jpg
Let's eat
IMG_0921.jpg

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    If it tastes as good as it looks I call it a winner...
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I have made the No-knead bread several times...please tell me if you did anything different to make it pizza dough...also what was the cook time & temp on the pizza?

Thanks for the info.
  • BigChar
    BigChar Posts: 113
    Pizza looks great! do any of you have the no-knead dough recipe handy?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Broc put this on the forum a while back. If needed I think I can locate the news article where this came from/printed the recipe.

GG

============

Simply dump into a bowl and quickly mix together
    > 3 Cups all purpose flour
    > 1/2 tsp yeast
    > 1-1/2 tsp salt [I use sea salt]

Then just dump in 1-1/2 cups of good tasting water
    > In about 20 - 30 seconds, just squish the water into the flour... don't worry about "under mixing." It will hydrate on its own.

Cover with plastic, and let sit on the counter 12+ hours.
    < The longer it sits, the more taste it will develop

The next day ---

Flop the gooey mess onto a well floured countertop.
    >It will be really sticky, and will seem like it is too wet. It isn't!
    >Use flour liberally on your hands, and "powder" the dough as needed so you don't end up wearing it!

Tri-fold the mess as best you can just twice!
    < Work the dough a bit with your fingers to de-gas the biggest bubbles. Unlike traditional bread making, don't overwork this section. You can do this in maybe 15 seconds at the most.
    < Leave some gas bubbles in the dough.

As best you can with the gooey mess, keep your hands well floured, roll into a ball and place the dough into a lightly oiled [EVOO] bowl.

Cover with a towel, and walk away!
    < To this point, your total contact time with ingredients is maybe a minute, include measuring the flour, yada-yada.
    < Just walk away, Jose! -- For two hours.

Preheat your oven [Egg] to 450F, with the empty clay covered bread baker inside. I separate the body from the cover.

Turn the dough out on the counter again, gently de-gassing.
    < Tri-fold twice!
    < Then shape the dough into an appropriately long "log."
    < Again, this is a fast-'n-furious step, taking less than a minute.
    < When the "log" is formed, let it rest for about 10 minutes.

Quickly, toss the "log" into the clay baker, cover the baker with its clay top and put the baker into your Egg/oven for 30 min @ 450F
    < The extremely wet dough [superhydrated] will steam -- but the steam can't escape the clay baker easily... this is what makes that crispy, yummy crust on the bread!
    < BTW -- The bread will not stick to the baking pot. < Don't grease the baker, or anything. Just use it.

After 30 minutes, take the lid off the cooker, and continue to bake for 20 more minutes.

Voila! The deed is done!
    < Remove the baker from the Egg/oven
    < Turn your Italian loaf out on to a rack to cool at least 30 min. before slicing. The inside of a loaf of any bread needs this rest time before slicing, or the inside of the bread can turn out "gummy."

Enjoy the best Italian bread you've ever had.

DISCLAIMER: Do not subject the clay baker to direct heat, nor to temps above 450F. In the Egg, have a spacer between the plate setter and the baker. In a kitchen over, set the clay baker on the middle rack.

Source BGE Forum
    Posted by Broc just
  • vidalia1
    I follow the recipe above as edited slightly by TRex & JLockhart. I cook mine in a 5 qt dutch oven on the BGE at 450 degrees for 25 minutes with the top on and 20-22 minutes with the top off....It is amazing tasting bread.... :P
  • BigChar
    BigChar Posts: 113
    I see in the recipe it calls for a clay bread cooker - Where do you fiind such an animal?
  • vidalia1
    I just use a 5 qt dutch oven on the BGE...it works great...... :)
  • If you want no knead sourdough Ed Woods has a recipe up at www.sourdo.com .
    The Dutch oven I like the best for Egging is the 5qt 8" deep Lodge. The only places I know to find them are Sportsman's Warehouse and Lodge Outlets. I have castironitis, that means it's not possible to own too much cast iron cookware.
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    The dough is a little different, i will post the ingredients. The temp was 400 for 12 minutes. Setup was plate setter legs up, woo ring, grate then pizza stone. Got the pizza nice and high in the dome.
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Hi Boatman,
    I'm reading all the threads I can on this "no knead bread recipe", and NOW I read you can adapt it for pizza dough??!!
    Probably use it unmodified, too, I'll bet.
    I'm just wondering how you change the recipe for pizza?
    Thanks! I can't WAIT to try it!
    RicklessssssS