Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transporting Ribs

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm new to this forum, but have learned a lot from all who post here. This weekend I'm smoking 5 racks of baby back at my home, but have to transport two hour away. Can this be done? And if so how?[p]Thank you!!
Devin

Comments

• Devin ,[p]This is a timing problem and can be done real easy. First, use the smallest cooler you have that you think your five racks will fit in. Second, cut your tin foil before you take the ribs off the cooker. Third, heat the cooler up before the ribs come off your cooker. Fill it with hot water and put the lid on. After about 20 minutes, do it again. Bout this time, pull your ribs off the cooker, wrap them in the foil, place them in your heated cooler and don't open the cooler until you get there. Don't fiddle around and get the stuff in the cooler quickly. They will be hot and as good as can be. Done it many times.[p]Old Dave
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Devin ,
    Old Dave aint lyin. You gots no worries. Do as he says, and you will have some HUGE fans once you open that foil up at eatin time!! I lay an old/clean coat that has been in the dryer in the hot cooler, and wrap the foil up in the coat before putting the lid on the cooler. Might be overkill, but 2 hours later, they will still be quite warm, if not hot.[p]I did it with a big brisket, and it was still steaming over 3 hours later.[p]Good luck!!
    Nature Boy

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Old Dave, yep thats dang good advice..JJ taught us that one a few years back..He also lines the chest first with a towel, then the foil wrap ribs, and then fold the towel over the rib/foil. Take em of just a tad early if a long trip as they keep right on cookin..
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Devin ,
    U have gotten great advice on transporting those COOKED babys!
    Now u can ask on of our coleagues on this forum on how to transport those ribs AS THEY ARE COOKING in da' Egg!...just ask Nature Boy!

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Smokin' Todd,[p]I know a technique that might work. Light your Egg and start cooking those ribs. While they're cooking, start "marinating" the chefs heavily. Once the chefs are good and sauced up, loosely hold the Egg and push it rapidly through a parking lot with some branches laying on the ground from a recent storm.[p]...oh wait...definitely DON'T do that...