Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Cookfest this weekend

Options
Ottawa_egger
Ottawa_egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife and two daughters went to her parent's place for Easter while I stayed home to do some home improvements. Although I missed a good sugarbush visit, I got the pleasure of cooking whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted on my eggs.

On Saturday morning I visited the big box grocer and it had a bunch of beef marked down due to the Friday holiday. I spyed a package of thick beef tenderloin steaks and had to do a doubletake on the price - regular $1.44, marked down another 50%. I looked at the steaks to verify they were tenderloins, which they were, then realized the problem - the package had been labelled as a frozen turkey, which sells for 15% the cost of the tenderloins. Into the basket they went. Two were good, while one was a bit green for my taste so it went in the trash. These two puppies ended up costing me 50 cents for the pair.

IMG_1149.jpg

For Saturday lunch, I covered them in DP RTS and Trex'd them on my mini, finishing off with some mesquite smoke.

IMG_1150.jpg

Plates with some garlic bread, roasted finger potatoes and roasted butternut squash for a tasty and filling lunch.

IMG_1151.jpg

With the money I saved I spent on a nice sushi-grade tuna steak. It was my first tuna steak on the egg, so I quartered it and did two pieces with Raging River and rwo with sea salt and pepper. Ate one of each and saved the other for lunch this week.

IMG_1159.jpg

Who says a mini lacks utility because of its small size!!!

IMG_1153.jpg

Lastly, on Sunday evening I spatchcocked a cornish game hen that was dusted with a little Raging River. God that was good. Half of that hen is slated for tomorrow's lunch and I'm so looking forward to it!!!!

Comments

• milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Great cookin. Your MINI was a MAXI. You rule, but don't share. LOL Miles out.
  • "shugarbush visit"? Never heard it called that. haha
  • Ottawa_egger
    Options
    LOL - I was a little puzzled by your post, but then realized you may not have been to a sugarbush if you're not from the Quebec/Vermont region. Every spring the maple syrup season begins when the weather gets above freezing during the day and below freezing during the night. These are the ideal conditions for the sap to begin running from the maple trees. The sap is gathered and boiled to make maple syrup and other maple products. It takes 40 gallons of sap to make a single gallon of syrup, and I think 80 gallons to make sugar (I could be wrong on that last ratio).

The sap gathering and boiling is typically called a "sugarbush" and it is traditional to have a big meal on site with baked beans, ham, bacon, pancakes, etc. and oodles of maple syrup. Believe me, it's quite a pigfest (no pun intended).
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Gathered the sap up in Indiana one year. No good eats were provided. Pure maple is a wonderus thing. Eat well sir.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    nice set up did you make or purchase the cast iron and raised set up. when you have time please post pics, instructions info etc thanks
    nice cooking
    bill