Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Watermelon rind

Options
PG
PG Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Happy mothers day to all....Cooking a pork tenderloin,barbeque shrimp wrapped in bacon and pickled watermelon rind wrapped in bacon also....my question is does anyone that was at eggfest know how long YB cooked the watermelon rind for? I was thinking just flip a few times until the bacon was done.......thanks Page

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    PG,
    He just cooked it until the bacon was done. I was going to do some of those also, but can't find the watermelon rind here in WV. So, thought I'd do Naan instead....can't find whole ginger. Guess I'm just not meant to cook the extra goodies this week. [p]~nikki

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    nikkig,
    Your right...When the bacon is done it's ready to eat...Here is a place you can order the pickled watermelon rind if you can't find it.
    Larry

[ul][li]Pickled Watermelon Rind[/ul]
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    PG,
    I cooked pickled watermelon rind last night for our supper club...It's always a hit... Let us know how it turned out.
    Larry

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Thanks Larry, I never thought about Amish Country. We live a couple of hours away from Ohio Amish Country and go at least once a year, usually twice. Sounds like a good excuse for another trip![p]~nikki
  • PG
    PG Posts: 50
    Options
    YB,they turned out great...just flipped till mildly crisp on the bacon....yummy....the wifes family thinks were nuts but they sure ate em up.......Page

• Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    Options
    nikkig,[p]here's a recipe for making your own watermelon rinds. I used it last summer to do the bacon-wrapped thing.[p]Pickled Watermelon Rind [p]3 lb White part of watermelon rind, cubed
    2 tb Salt
    1 qt Water
    3 c Sugar
    2 c Cider vinegar
    1 c Cold water
    1 tb Whole allspice
    1 tb Whole cloves
    1 tb Cinnamon stick pieces
    1 Lemon, sliced[p]
    Set rind aside in a glass bowl. [p]In a large bowl, make a brine of 2 T salt and 1 qt of water. Add rind, making sure it is completely covered. Cover and refrigerate overnight. [p]Remove from refrigerator and discard brine. Place rind in a large saucepan, stockpot, or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cover rind with fresh water. bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, or until rind is tender. Drain and discard liquid. Set rind aside. [p]In a stockpot over medium-high heat, combine sugar, vinegar, and 1 c cold water. Heat until sugar dissolves. Enclose allspice, cloves, cinnamon, and lemon in a cheesecloth bag. Place bag in vinegar mixture. Add watermelon rind and cook 45 mintues, or until transparent. Pour into sterilized jars and seal. [p]
    Enjoy,
    --Kevin