Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Backs - HELP! How to cook indirect withOUT the foil?

Options
Charcoal Mike
Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all -[p]Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms out there![p]I will be cooking 4 full racks of baby-backs today using Ken Stone's Rub. Normally, I use the 3-1-1 method when doing my ribs, but today I want to try something different. Using the foil is fine when I'm only cooking for two, but today I have a crowd. I don't want to have to stop to wrap/unwrap eight half-racks.[p]Can anyone give me an approximation on cooking times/temps if I do these indirect, without the foil? I will plan to finish direct for maybe 30 minutes, to add a bit of sauce at the end. However, please no suggestions to go fully direct (it makes me nervous - don't want to change my pattern so much in one meal that I burn Mom's dinner).[p]Thanks in advance for your help![p]- Mike[p]

Comments

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    I used to use the 3/1/1.5 as my favorite until Big Murth posted the following recipe a while back. This is now my favorite method.
    B D
    Baby Back Ribs Indirect (no foil)
    By Big Murth
    ·Coat with Mustard & JJ’s Rub 24 hours in advance
    ·Setup indirect at 250°, do not put water in the drip pan
    ·Use equal parts Hickory & Apple & some Jack Daniels chips
    ·1 hour at 250°
    ·2 hours at 300°-325° spray a few times with Apple juice
    ·10-15 minutes at above setting applying sauce

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    ribs004.jpg
    <p />Charcoal Mike,[p]I have done some fine indirect ribs but the 3-1-1 works for me every time and I use it most often now. Using higher temps when indirect is the key to indirect, avoid 250° or below since your grid temps go way down with an indirect setup. I also cut my ribs in half like you, but I don't wrap them individually in foil - I put 2 or 3 halves in a foil wrap. It takes two pieces, a bottom and a top with the edges rolled together and bone arch UP. Today I am doing 4 racks of baby backs too, but I am using the 3-1-1 and a HUGE aluminium cooking bag my new Egg owner neighbors gave me to try. I think I can get all 8 halves in this thing! I have dusted them with Dizzy Dust, course grind, and then the mustard. I'll start about 1:30pm.[p]Pictured are 4 racks of babies done at 300° for 4.5 hrs. I flipped twice and sauced the last hour. They are over a foil lined pizza pan which is sitting on some ceramic blocks -- but firebricks or an inverted setter works too! Good luck with them.[p]Tim[p]Tim
    [/b]
  • Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,[p]Here is the easiest way to do that; it may not be the best, but it's the way I prefer: Rub 'em with a little ordinary mustard. Rub on the spices. Set up a water pan with a grid over it. Toss on a few chunks of oak or hickory or whatever. 275 for four hours. An hour before serving, i.e., 3 hours into the cook, open the Egg and brush 'em with some commercial bbq sauce.[p]That's it, and everyone who has tasted my ribs say they are the best they ever had. BUT -- they haven't tasted the 3-1-1 ribs, or the apple juice sprayed ribs, and neither have I, and so we don't know what we are missing. [p]If you want a peak experience, do it the way the Eggsperts tell you -- they have never steered me wrong on a lot of other things, and someday I will try it the right way. But if you want to do it the easy way, do it the lazy way, and the ribs will still be great.[p]One more thing -- the membrane really matters. Lift off the membrane with a butter knife before you cook. The ribs will be much more tender. Even I, a lazy cook, will agree with that. It takes some practice, but it gets easier.[p]Good luck!

• Unknown
    Options
    Tim M, What is your website address?

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Rick R,[p]Check the visitors profile on me.[p]Tim
  • Unknown
    Options
    Tim, thank you. Great site. Rick R