Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Experience with the Big Green Egg so far

Options
Tuck
Tuck Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well cooking on the Egg has a bit of a learning curve. I over cooked some filets on my first cook. I was shooting for Medium doneness and got Medium-Well and Well Done steaks. I seared them in a cast iron skillet for 2.5 minutes per side and cooked them at 450 in the Egg but I let them go just a little too long.

For Easter, instead of Prime Rib, we decided to do Stuffed Beef Tenderloin, using a recipe Stephanie learned when she got her culinary degree. The stuffing was mushrooms, bacon, garlic and onion and parsley. I couldn't find a whole beef tenderloin. but I did find some that were cut in half and on sale, so I bought two of them.

For the stuffing, we put the bacon, onion and garlic in the food processor and get it finely chopped then threw it in a skillet. Then while thats cooking, we cut the caps off the mushrooms and put them in the food processor and chopped them up nicely. We added the mushrooms and the parsley to the bacon mixture and cooked until all the moisture from the mushrooms had evaporated. We set it aside and chilled.

Once it chilled, we butterflied the tenderloin and spread the mushroom mixture. You are then supposed to tie the tenderloin with butcher's twine. We couldn't find butcher's twine at Walmart so we did the next best thing, we wrapped the tenderloin with bacon.

I heated the egg to about 450 degrees and then threw in a bunch of wood chips from Jack Daniel's Oak Aging Barrels for some smoky flavor. I put the tenderloins on the egg to cook them until they were medium in the middle. One of my thermometers wasn't working right and it was registering medium but they were really rare. So I put them back on for about 15 more minutes and they turned out really good.

I also threw some asparagus on the grill too while the tenderloin was finishing up. Stephanie made a garden salad, loaded mashed potatoes, deviled eggs, chocolate eclair cake and banana pudding to go with it. We had a great Easter feast.

Comments

• Chef in the Making
    Options
    Sounds to me that you are on the road to successful egging. You will need to include some pictures and also do you have an instant read thermometer like a thermopen. It will help with the steaks
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    After nearly 10 years cooking on my Eggs I still have fun and the learning curve never stops. By that I mean, once you cook all of the 'regular' stuff you want to try new things that you may not have wanted to do if your were working on your kitchen range.

This year I resolve to completely master PIZZA!!

Keep on cooking!