Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggxperts needed

Options
Beli
Beli Posts: 10,751
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
To my eggxpert friends.......Having a party of 20+ friends coming over, just got a large egg, thinking of cooking two briskets..my question is, would they take twice as long to cook as one normally does? would I require more lump? i plan to set an extension grid.....any other suggestion greatly appreciated. Tkanks....

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Two will only take slightly longer than one due to the added mass of cold meat. -RP
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i have only cooked one brisket and it was not worth talking about anymore than that.........

however i have done several boston buts at once before

DSCN0336.jpg

DSCN0083.jpg

and as long as they are not really touching like in the first photo they will cook as seperate pieces of meat... but if they are touching like in the bottom picture they will all cook at the same rate.... that is what i have found from boston butts.. now some of the brisket cookers around here may say diffrent... you will need to fill your egg all the way up... and may i say clean it completely out before loading it up with fresh lump and wood chunks.....

good luck!!!!!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    The short answer is No, each piece cooks simultaneously. If you were cooking one sector of cow at 20 minutes to the pound, and the sector weighed 4 pounds, you'd cook it for 80 minutes - if you cut it into 4 1-pound chunks, you'd reduce your total cooking time to 20 minutes. (The disclaimer is what AZRP said: more cold meat = more cold mass.)

HTH
    Kem
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    the top one might cook faster because its hotter up top, other than that i wouldnt add any time. last huge cook i had was on 3 layers, bottom two grids were 8 pound flats, top grid was two butts. flats took 12 hours, butts took 14 hours. controlling temps was the difficult thing because air flow increased as the meat shrank with this cook
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    Is your extender sitting directly on the bottm butts?

Thanks
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    yep!!! only way to make it work

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Beli
    Options
    Thank you for your advise. I´ll keep you posted on the results.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Have you cooked with a BGE before, and equally as important, do you have any experience with cooking briskets? I haven't done the latter, but many here will tell you that it's not the easiest cook for beginners. If I were you, I'd do something easier (perhapse butt roasts), especially seeing as you are hosting a party with 20 guests. Butts are difficult to mess up and you'll find plenty of help here and at the associated links. Your guests will love the pulled pork and then you can offer them brisket after you've mastered it on your own a few times (pizza for 20 can get expensive)! 8 - ) Just my $.02 worth! Good luck and have fun!

My first pork butt (4 months ago)
    PulledPork1-1.jpg
    Here's a more recent cook
    PB1a.jpg

Rascal
  • Beli
    Options
    Thank-you. I have cooked lots of briskets over the years, but never two at a time, most of them on my roman oven just a few on my Egg, they´ve all come great....
    This is my last this past sunday on the LGE.
    Easterbrisket002.jpg

What would be your suggested recipe to cook the butt???? Thanks again. All the best!!
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I you decide on butts instead you may want to try the cuban Pork with Mojo sauce. Frijoles negros y arroz con el porc :). Buen provecha. Un poco Don Julio Commerativo (frio, frio como bandera) tambien.

Here it is just in case.

Ingredients
    4 1/2 cups fresh orange juice, divided
    1 1/4 cups fresh lime juice, divided
    1 orange, zested
    1 lime, zested
    1/2 cup finely chopped fresh oregano, divided
    12 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1 bone-in pork shoulder (about 4 to 6-pounds), trimmed of excess fat
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine 4 cups of the orange juice and 1 cup of the lime juice and zest in a large saucepan over high heat and reduce to 2 cups.
    Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining orange juice and lime juice add a few cloves of garlic and 1/4 cup of the oregano.
    Let cool to room temperature.

Marinate the pork roast in the refrigerator over night
    Remove the pork from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
    Place roast and marinade in a pan
    Occasionally baste with the juices in the pan
    Cook at dome temp of 250 until internal temperature of 195-200
    Wrap with HDAF and place in a cooler for an hour or so
    Pull and enjoy with Mojo dipping sauce

Mojo Dipping Sauce:
    8 cloves garlic
    1 serrano chile, chopped
    3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
    Salt
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    Using a mortar and pestle, mash the garlic, serrano, cilantro and a few pinches of salt until it becomes a paste. Add the orange juice, lime juice and oil and stir to combine.
  • Beli
    Options
    Sounds delicious Frank TKS........specially the Don Julio bit.. :laugh: :laugh: ...... Really must cook that pork soon......