Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sad, sad day... learn from me...

Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove Posts: 261
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Don't roll your egg on anything but concrete! I just moved to Athens, GA from Bradenton, Fl and got lazy and in a hurry and tried to roll my egg (with another person helping) across a grassy yard to it's new home. Rolled it down the truck ramp just fine, started across the yard, it flipped and broke into three large pieces. I haven't had the heart to take pics yet. I don't know how we weren't able to hold it, but it fell over and broke. I knew better than to do this, but got lazy and in a hurry and look what happened. Add me to the list of folks saying "Never roll your egg on anything but concrete!" Now I am a believer. Any suggestions for repair - replacing even the bottom half isn't really an option at this point. What sort of adhesive could I use, it seems to go back together well.

A sad and throughly disgusted

JET

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Check out the whiz's site on repairing ceramics.

I've used a furnace adhesive I bought at lows for the rain cap before. It held up until my kids broke it again.

Your in Atlanta so at the first chance I'd get a new base. You might be surprised at the cost. I don't think it is as bad as your thinking.
  • KC
    KC Posts: 91
    Sorry to hear the bad news... I share your pain. I bought a large BGE at the 2006 Eggtoberfest, hauled it from the mother ship to Nashville and broke it unloading it. Fortunately, I bought it using my AMEX card and they actually replaced it due to their warranty / replacement guarantee. I sent them the receipt, they sent me a check and I bought a replacement egg from the local distributor in Nashville.

Will you homeowners insurance cover part (or all) of it? Depending on your deductible amount you may be able to recoup a portion of the cost of replacement.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Sorry to hear about that! You might want to check out some of the epoxies & adhesives here: http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/fc_tapes.htm
    Good luck!

Rascal,
    Bradenton, FL
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    If the pieces are large Rutland furnace cement may work.Check with your local Ace Hardware store.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    You got home owner's insurance??...anyway you can make that cover it??..I would NOT try to repair and use the outer shell...just my 2 cents...doh!..just saw someone else recommended the home owner's..oh well..I would not trust any adhesive for the bottom outer shell...
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i am not sure how long something like adhesive will work...

since you are in athens you are only an hour from the mothership. i had a freind who had his egg sitting on a picnic table and left the dome open and wind came across and blew it off the table. he was able to salvage everything except for the base. it was not as expensive as you might think i believe it would be worth a trip down 78 to find out.... or at least a call to the mothership... but glueing it would only help you for a couple months at best IMHO.....

congrats on the new house athens is a great town especially on saturdays in the fall..even if you are not a UGA fan... i live about a hour from you in anderson s.c....

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    sorry, but once again we need to remember never push your egg - only pull it toward you. That will work on grass as well. BTW your ground must be awfully hard to break your egg.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Oh I know I'm a UGA grad so it's my second time around here. Two egg dealers about a 1/4 mile away, new base is 250.00. But a need a new fire ring and firebox, so it brings it up to about 450.00, very close to the price of a new large here.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Jet,

Sorry to hear. Hot lump in my large is at 1180°. Reading the spec sheet of Rutland adhesive or it might have been JB Weld, they say to remove the adhesive heat it up to, I believe it was between 500° and 700°.

I am not sure if the cost of a base is worth taking a chance.

If it is a matter of egging or not egging then call BGE explaine the problem and ask them what cement they might recomend.

Good Luck.

GG
  • I actually was pulling the egg and had someone holding it on the other side. We weren't even drinking! The castors are just way too small too move on anything but hard surfaces. The once again we need to remember is not to ever try to roll it over grass, I knew better and got lazy. I should have removed it from the nest and carried it but I was in a hurry.. sigh. The ground where I was rolling it was not especially hard, a tip over in the nest is easily enough to break the ceramic. Also, my fire ring and fire box were already in multiple pieces, they may have contributed to the demise of the outer base. Anyway, I knew better than to do it so I can't complain too much, just won't be egging for a while.
  • Thanks for the link!
  • $500.00 deductible, large is $600.00 here, not worth messing with the insurance premium increase or getting dropped.
    Thanks though!
  • I'll look into it but I'm thinking more of just buying a new one in a few months.. everyone is cautioning against repair.

Thanks!
  • You are probably right, not worth the risk, just can't really spend the money to replace right now..
  • Thanks, I'll check it out and post pics of the process if I decide to repair it..

JET
  • Thought of that but deductible is almost as much as the new egg...

Thanks!

JET
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Still, take the time to visit BGE or at least call and explain the problem. You may be in for a suprise at the resolution.

At a minimum they will guide you on what you should or should not do with regard to repairing.

Kent
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    JB weld is good to 550 according to their info. You have to remember, it is the temperature of the ceramic, not the temperature of the air inside the cooker that matters. The base doesn't get that hot. Several years ago, someone posted photos of a JB Weld fixup of a broken base and they reported good results. I don't know that I'd go to the trouble if I were going to get a new base in a couple of months, but it is certainly doable with JB Weld.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Here's a post about someone who fixed an egg.

http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=40667&catid=1#40667

He's still here......you might want to ping or e-mail him.

Sorry to hear about your accident. :(