Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Introduction

Options
FrankC
FrankC Posts: 416
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi there everyone, I've been lurking on and off for some time now, with nothing really to offer except questions. My family and I are moving into a new house in May, and I'm going to finally make a long standing dream come true....I'm going to get an egg!

My question is mainly about size. We're a family of four, and we like to have people over whenever possible. I've been using a horizontal smoker and a old Weber gasser for years, but would like to make my new egg the primary cooker.

With all of that being said, should I be looking at a LBE or and XLBGE?? I know I'll be needing the plate setter for indirect and long smokes, but are there any other accessories that I'll be needing?

Thanks in advance for your input...I'm very eggcited about the new cooker.

FrankC

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    There sure is a lot of room under the hood of a XL. For the money if you can swing an XL almost everyone will tell you to get a Large and a Small Egg....about the same price as an XL.

Congrats on the new house and the Egg.....now you need a digital camera so you can post pictures LOL
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Welcome Frank.

Ask all the question you need, there is usually a large number of eggers logged in and willing to help out.

My opinion is that a large will suffice for your needs. I have a family of four and entertain another family of 3 fairly often and my large is usually enough.

After a while you will be ready to add another egg to cook smaller dishes, additional dishes, etc. It is generally more cost effective and more versatile to have a large/small or large/medium combo than a single XL.

As for accessories, a grid lifter is nice to have. Hopefully your egg will come with the package that icludes the DMFT, ash tool, and grid lifter. A good meat thermometer is necessary - i use a thermapen. I also like to use cast iron pans, dutch ovens, and griddles for a lot of recipes. Other than that, your use of your egg and browsing of this forum will let you know what you want to add to assist you in your cooks.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Hello Frank and welcome to the 'cult'..heh....your question is asked here all the time and will probably get 20 replies b4 the end of the day..so let me be the first...this is a totally tough question because everybody cooks different and for different numbers..I usually cook for a minimum of 4 and sometimes up to 15-20..until recently I did all of this on a Large..I recently bought a small just for when it's just me and the wife here and for sides and such..but the large served me very well for that range of number of people..however, hard to cook steaks for 15-20 on a large..most of my cooks for large groups have been pork butts, briskets, ribs, appetizers, wings, sausage fatties, burgers, etc...so unless you want to cook steaks for that large of a group..the large is probably going to suffice for 95% of your needs...just my 2 cents..good luck on your decision! ;)...
    ..dangit!..I see dhuff and Fidel type faster than I do..so let me be the 'third' :woohoo:
  • Egg Pirate
    Egg Pirate Posts: 114
    Options
    Hey Frank!

Welcome! I was in the same situation last year. I went for the XL. Man is that thing big. I usually cook for 4-6 people. I just picked up a large 2 weeks ago and I have found I like it a little better. I think it will handle almost all of your cooks and it has a few more eggcessories. Just my humble opinion.

PS: You won't go wrong with either one.
  • KC
    KC Posts: 91
    Options
    I agree with those who recommend getting the large first and then adding a smaller egg later (or biting the bullet and getting the large and smaller egg at one time -- the cost is about the same as an XL egg). As the others have said - 2 eggs gives you more versatility and options than 1 XL would provide. Welcome to the forum and good luck.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I agree with the general sentiment that a Large and Small will be the handiest set-up. While it is possible to cook several courses at once, having Eggs at different temperatures is much easier.

Also, if you start with a Large as opposed to an XL, you'll have plenty of money for accessories. Besides a plate setter for indirect cooking, you can also use fire brick splits, kiln shelves, a commercial product that are little ceramic tiles with holes in them, probably other thigs. All have their various uses.

With a Large, there are several multi-tier grids, and the cast iron grate.

There's pizza stones, casseroles, Dutch Ovens, soapstone cookware, etc.

Really good long tongs and welder's gloves come in handy for the lava temp steak sears.

And the V - rack, various rib racks, vertical roasters, drip pans of various sizes and shapes.

Weed burner's for start-up. Instant read thermometer, remote thermometers, automated air control systems.

Etc.

Oh, and a couple hundred pounds of lump and wood chunks. I use my Eggs more than I use my kitchen range, and so try to always have at least 80 lbs. on hand.

It'll be fun.
  • FrankC
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I guess I didin't realize there was such a difference in price from the LBGE and the XLBGE. The idea of having 2 different eggs is very interesting. I'm going to start pricing things out!
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Hi Frank,

I came from exactly the same setup you have, and went first with the LBGE in Oct and an SBGE in Jan. I'll be adding the XLBGE in May following the TX Eggfest.

LBGE gives you lots of versatility, and allows you to cook for just your family, or for lots of people. Be cautioned, though; you'll probably need to start planning for your next egg already ;)

Good luck, and let us know when you're all moved in.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I have an XL and like it a lot. But recently had the opportunity to cook on a Large at a Demo evening at my dealership. I found the temps a lot easier to control on the large, especially going down. I agree with all of the above - geaux for a large. If you are building a table for your Egg, plan for a small in the future as well. :laugh:
  • Ross in Ventura
    Options
    DSCN2303.jpg
    Diggi Q11
    DSCN2301.jpg
    Works any were
    My Best Ross
  • FrankC
    Options
    Well, I've given it a lot of thought, and I think I'm going to bite the bullet and go with the LBGE and the medium. There seems to be lots of accessories available for both, and I can definitely justify the added cooking area.

Thanks for all of your input! I won't actually make the purchase until we close on the new house at the end of April. I'm really looking forward to hanging out here and learning more about using the new cookers. Thanks for making me feel so welcome!