Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Melted Gasket

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got my egg up to 750 degrees and when I tried to open it, my gasket was melted. What happened? How do I replace that?

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    DCP02015.JPG
    <p />Here are some pictures
  • Unknown
    Options
    DCP02016.JPG
    <p />See how the gasket came off? I was coming down from 750 degrees because I cooked a Mahi Mahi in it for lunch. I needed to clean the egg out because I didn't want these cookies to taste like fish. When I got to 450, I opened the vents and then tried to lift the lid and it was stuck! FInally I got it open and the gasket tore.
  • davidm
    davidm Posts: 64
    Options
    Tony,[p]I am in the same sad position! I've been using my large fairly regularly for four years and I decided to nuke a couple of ribeyes a few nights ago. Got that sucker well past the 750 mark and when I opened the lid the gasket caught fire![p]Well, that sucker burned for quite a while before I could put it out. Now, of course, it is just a hard, thin cinder and I wonder if I have blown my gasket, especially since I'm trying to cook a couple of racks of babybacks today and I can't get the temp below 270 degrees because, I think, Mr. Egg is leaking air through his middle.[p]I am a little put off at the prospect of taking a putty knife and removing the felt, but believe it's The Only Thing To Do. Now I'm trying to remember the post about some super-gasket someone was talking about a month or so ago. I figure that if I'm going to go through this, it'd be great if I could only have to do it once![p]Does anyone remember?[p]Thanks,[p]David (with the blown gasket)
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Tony,
    I've yet to experience either the gaskets sticking together or having to replace. I'm close to needing to replace mine but from what I've been told, as long as I'm not leaking smoke from the middle I'm fine.[p]What does interest me is the cookies? Do you often bake cookies on the egg? Any special treatment?

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Tony,
    Just curious... How did you get your plate setter and Egg interior to look blue? That's cool.[p]SC

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Tony,
    First of all, if you do get the gasket stuck together, it will almost certainly pull free of the egg when you force the egg open. It has happened to me. I think the gasket gets soft and sticky if you allow heat to escape the egg while the egg is only cracked. This happens most spectacularly when you have a flashback and drop the lid in panic. That's what happened to me the first time. Basically, somehow you got a lot of heat close to the gasket. Scraping and cleaning is the best thing to do to ensure that whatever new gasket you put on sticks well. I scraped with a razor blade scraper and then wiped it down with alcohol and rags to get the crud off. The new gasket stuck like a charm.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz