Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best way to do a 15 lb. turkey on the Egg? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Junior,
    I've done turkeys both in a v-rack and on the vert roaster. A little oil or butter on the skin with a light dusting of paprika. Do it at 350º indirect (drip pan) with 20 min per pd as a rule of thumb with 160-170º for the breast meat or 180º for the thigh.Let it rest for a few minutes when you take him off tented with aluminum foil of course. Some folks will do the turkey breast side down in a v-rack...claims are that it juicier, never had a dry bird yet and I've never done one breast side down either.
    Good luck and let us know how you make out.
    Carey

• Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    Options
    Junior, not sure of the recipe but i have done a few turkeys that were great and all were brined i would say to brine the bird and then enjoy the best turkey ever

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Junior,
    I believe Kat posted a great method not too long ago. Brine away, use water, salt, molases, thyme and any other spice you like. Stuff bird with cut up apple and an orange with holes punched in it. Smoke with pecan wood. Cook 350*ish until done. Was the best brid I have ever had.

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Junior,
    I'll be doing a turkey tomorrow just as Sundown described except I'll just place the bird directly on the grill over the drip pan. Also, I've found at 350*, the cook time is considerably less than 20 mins per pound. Also, I'll be injecting a marinade in the turkey in a few minutes and let it set overnight.

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Junior,[p]I just saw a TV show that did a brined turkey, followed by spatchcocking it, and then roasting it at 450 in an oven. The brine coupled spatchcocking seemed like a really, really good idea. Not sure if it would fit in the Egg, but I plan on giving that a shot myself in the near future.[p]--sdb
  • sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Here's a link to the recipe from the show:[p]
    [ul][li]Spatchcocked Turkey[/ul]
  • Ellen aka Gormay
    Options
    Dear sdbelt,[p]I recently read a tip for turkeys. It said to have the butcher saw it in half before purchasing. They have a sharp saw that can even cut it in a frozen state and we can avoid the hassle. Not only do two halves of a turkey fit better in the freezer than one whole, but one half would be like one half of a spatchcock turkey and would then be more likely to fit on your BGE. I am going to request this procedure when turkeys are next on sale as we sometimes cannot finish all the leftovers before they go past their prime on a whole one.[p]Ellen