Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasted Suckling Pig

Junkyard Perro
Junkyard Perro Posts: 18
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Everyone ,
Finally received my "Registration Confirmation ".. !
SUCKLING BBQ PIG :
1. 11.5 lbs Piggy : Cost $100.00 in my neck of the woods (L.A. CA).
2. Marinated with an " Adobo Seasoning Sauce " for several Days
3. Large Egg / Placed inside with a " V Rack " tin foiled wrapped ears /head area to keep from burning.
4. Cooked for 3 hrs @ 350 degrees, very moist & Juicy !!!
Just some afterthoughts :
This was my first try & I would do a few things differently on my next try .. !
1. The pig had more fat content than I would have imagined for such a small thing. It could have easily cooked for another hour to melt off some of the additional fat.
2. The rear leg portion ( Ham )was the size of a large Turkey leg & tasted very similar .
3. I would tin foil the smaller leg area to keep them from burning/overcooking , as they were very dry.
4. The meat was very moist & tasty, however it needed a bit more seasoning " UNDER " the skin /meat. I might try the " Meat Injector Flavor thing " or maybe marinate , " Brine " it overnight as I normally do with a Turkey : i.e; Salt / Brown Sugar / Fresh Herbs / Apple or Orange Juice in a bucket overnight.
5. Might even try tin foiling the entire Pig and cooki for 3 hours, And then finish it by browning at High Temp ; 500 + degrees ?

I'll try posting a few photos with this topic , if not check out Roasted Suckling Pig (eggheadforum.com)

IMG_1069_edited.jpg
IMG_1068_edited.jpg
IMG_1066_edited.jpg
[/img]

J.P.

Comments

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    ....Well done JP........Congrats!!
  • ATX
    ATX Posts: 98
    Mmmm. "Babe: Pig in the City" L.A. Egg estilo. Buen hecho hombre.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    How big could you fit if you had the head cut off do you think? Did you do that direct or indirect? Looks direct to me.
  • Hey,

It was direct heat & the Piggy you see was a tight fit . I had to use that particular " V Rack " , which had ends or handles & helped keeping it pushed in and compact. My next try , I would cook it a bit longer (4 hrs), slightly lower heat , open up the Body Cavity for a little more even cooking inside ( browning ).
    IMG_1072_edited.jpg
    You might be able to fit a twenty ( 20 ) to possibly a twenty ( 25 ) pound Piggy , without the head attached ???  I would " Highly recommend " Injecting the Meat just under the skin , along the spine , Ham , Neck areas  & using a Meat thermometer...  I use a stainless steel cable , hooked to a Digital Unit ( $ 35.00 item ?) . Lower the heat  (250 - 300 degrees) , which will require longer cooking time..!  J.P.
  • Just want to say again that looks great. also did I note that your seal is missing. If so that certainly answers the question "can you still use your egg without a seal?"
  • Very impressive.

Always good to meet another Los Angeles Egger.

Bill
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    It looks so good, it looks fake.
    nice pics!!!
  • Hey Karma ,

I like to use veery High heat ( 600 + degrees ) to Burn my Steak ( Ribeye Rules ;) ) on the ouside & cook it for about 3 minutes each side ( Med Rare ). In the process of getting the Heat up, I burned out my seal ( glue de-laminated ?) within the first two weeks of using my new " Egg ". I ordered another one , but haven't really seen a need to put it on yet .. ! . I've been using it , as is , for over a year.

However, I 'm very careful not to drop the lid down tooo hard , or it might crack ?
    And, I won't let anyone use my " Egg " , for the above reason.

J.P.
  • We had Suckling Pig in Segovia Spain. Looks quite authentic...

Congrats...
  • Hey All,

I never stated that " I " couldn't cook, or this was my first experience using an " EGG " .

Owned one for over ten years ...! Lots of Ribs , Steaks , Turkeys , (1) Goose & a few failed Smoked Hams ( I like Honey Bake Hams better than my Eggexamples ).

Had get rid of the old one , due to divorce situation & gave it to a gooood friend.... !

I've had my new one for about a year , burned out the gasket while drinking a Beer & watching the cool " Blue Flame " Jetting " out of the top ( 750 + degrees ) :woohoo:

For the record : This was my " First Whole Suckling Piggy " .
    It didn't come out perfect . I did share some afterthoughts for the next try !!

J.P.
  • Hey All ,

I wasn't to thrilled with the overall taste & flavor of the meat on Saturday's BBQ.
    My buddy & I ate the Rear Legs for dinner & I placed the rest in the Fridge.

I decided to have the Head for Dinner today (Monday), with a little " A-1 Sauce " on the side to dip into .

Boy was I surprised :woohoo:

I don't know what happened,but those few days sitting in the Fridge made an incredible difference in taste. Had to dig into one side ( Slab ? ) of Ribs , hey were also very , very tasty in comparison to Saturdays meal.

So, in conclusion .. I would not hestitate in cooking one a few days ahead of time , place it in the Fridge until needed . I would present it on the Table for the visual effect ,back to the kitchen . Carve it up , re-heat ( Micro-wave ) & serve with few choices of dipping sauces i.e; BBQ Sauce , A-1, Asian type of Plum Sauce , etc .. !

I really did appreciate all of the positive comment ... " THANKS "
    I did in fact , cooked it on my Egg , it wasn't a " Bait & Switch " .. !

J.P.
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    I've always wanted to do one of those....I've also noted that some of my cooks taste better the next day. You did a fantastic job by the looks of it!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    J.P I still say you should have let it grow up :woohoo:

Next time reduce the heat to 250 dome and let it cook longer. Let the Hams and Shoulders get past 170 or so before taking baby out of the egg. Even though you did a whole piglet you still need to let it get past the plateau.

You don't need to marinate piggy so long. 24 hours tops. Depending on how much salt was in your marinade you probably got close to ham and not pork.

30 minutes before putting piggy in the egg fill the body cavity with ice. Use a zip lock. This will lower the temp of the bacon and allow it to come to terms around the same time as the hams and shoulders.. As Max will tell you this trick works wonders on Poultry too.

This doesn't do much for overall presentation, but cut the skin on one leg just above the knuckle. When you can easily twist the foot piggy is done or you can use a thermopen :)

In North Carolina BBQ is a noun meaning Pork.. :laugh:
  • Just wondering JP if you've done suckling pig again, or if anyone else has?

I have one ordered up, and am debating whether to cook it on the Egg or on a spit. Am leaning towards the Egg.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,672
    you might be better off starting a new post however not many have cooked one. i dont think junkyardperro has posted in the last two years. this forum doesnt move the thread to the top so most wont see it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it