Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corned Beef Brisket - on The EGG???

Timbo
Timbo Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have an idea how to do corned beef on an egg? Since tomorrow's Mother's Day and all and C/B & cabbage is one on my mom's fav's, I'm thinkin about giving it a try.
Tonight... I'm givin' The Dizzy Pig a whirl on some BB's.

Comments

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Timbo,
    it will be salty, boil it
    [/b]
  • Timbo
    jwitheld,
    Makes sense... Thanks!

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Timbo,[p]I've done many ... and they are great. The result is different that a boiled corned beef (more like pastrami), but my wife is a huge fan (as am I). I disagree with jwitheld. Mine have not been salty at all, rather smoking on the egg imparts a differend dimention to the flavor.[p]smokey.gif

• Timbo
    Thanks Smokey!
    Did you do it low & slow?

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Timbo,[p]Yes, I cook en indirect over a drip pan for 5 hours or so. The last one I finished with about 5-10 minutes direct to lightly char the outside. I know it sound quite different, but it was fabulous! (Sorry no pictures)[p]Smokey
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Timbo,
    I'd add one small touch. During the last 15-30 minutes I'd baste with a thickened cranberry, stock, sugar glaze. In fact I might do that tommorrow.
    Regrads,
    Marvin

• usagrilling
    usagrilling Posts: 14
    Timbo, I have never cooked a brisket but it sounds good. I bought a corned beef brisket myself at Sams and would like to know is their a fresh and a salted brisket. I have read the form with many good looking recipes which read not of the saltness. I am now in question if I have something that is very salty and how to cook it? Should the next time I purchase a brisket buy a fresh one?

• Timbo
    usagrilling,
    Yes there is a difference. Corned Beef is a cured meat. When you read about beef brisket, it's most likely fresh (raw) meat. I've done a brisket and can't wait to try another! Go to a good butcher and get an untrimmed brisket and pick a recipe... you won't regret it.
    Looks like some other folks have had good success with corned beef too... think I'll give er' a go.
    Timbo

• Timbo
    Marvin,
    Thanks! gonna do some homework tonight.

• Dear Marv,[p]May I make a suggestion?[p]Our very, best favorite corned beef is simmered in water in the oven, removed when fork tender and then baked again with a brown sugar-mustard glaze (1/2 cup packed brown sugar mixed with 1/3 cup yellow mustard). The sweet and savory flavor of the glaze paired with the rich, salty flavor of the corn beef is to die for![p]FYI et al: applying a sweet glaze to corned beef is supposedly an invention of southern American Jews who were forbidden by religious dietary laws from serving a glazed ham. This was their compromise.[p]BTW, I am planning to make a BGE corned beef with this glaze at some point, but I'm hoping some adventurous soul out there will try it and tell me about the results sooner. [p]Ellen aka "the crafty one" :-)
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Ellen aka Gormay,
    Thanks for the backround. I was familiar with that tidbit about southern Jews, but I believe that the ideas of sweet fruits with meat originated in the Mediterranian (Middle East, Northern Africa, Sicily) and carried to this country by any of those people and Sephardic Jews. While the history is interesting; the eating is more enjoyable.
    Regards,
    Marvin