Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leg of Lamb

Options
Katodude00
Katodude00 Posts: 98
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing a leg of Lamb for Easter today. Anybody have an idea of what a good internal temp should be?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I pull mine 125-130F, but I like it medium and it will pick up 5 degrees or so on the 15 minute rest. Careful Don't over cookit
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Use the same guidelines as you would for beef.
    125* - 130* is good.
  • Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    Options
    I also have a 4.5 lb boneless leg 'o lamb that I'm doing today. I'm a new Egger and also haven't done lamb before. So. . .

Direct or Indirect?
    Dome temp?
    About how long to get it to 125 - 130?

Thanks!
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    This is my favorite.
    As I found the recipe:

Butterfly Leg of Lamb

1 5- to 6- pound leg of lamb

Marinade:
    1 or 2 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon fines herbs
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
    1/4 cup grated onion
    1/2 cup salad oil
    1/2 cup lemon juice

The day before:
    Bone leg of lamb and slit lengthwise to spread flat like a thick steak.
    Thoroughly mix remaining ingredients in a blender.
    In a glass baking dish, in the refrigerator, marinade meat overnight, turning a couple times.
    Remove meat and heat remaining marinade on stovetop.
    Insert two long skewers through meat at right angles.
    Roast over medium coals 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours turning every 15 minutes ‘till medium done, basting at each turn.
    Allow to rest 10 minutes then remove skewers and cut across grain.

I marinade this in a plastic baking bag with all the air squeezed out, so I don't worry about turning.
    I cook this in the Egg at 350 degrees, turning and basting every 30 minutes, to an internal temp of 130 degrees.

You could probably get away with just a couple hours in the marinade, especially if you inject it too. Or maybe baste more often.
  • Dan in StL
    Dan in StL Posts: 254
    Options
    Michael,

Thanks. I also just found the Cookbook section of this site, plus a couple of other postings. Man, there's no shortage of info out here!

As far as the recipe and seasoning, I'm already at the mercy of the butcher shop that my wife got the leg from - it's allready seasoned, tied up and ready to go.

Thanks