Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hinge

Options
Bigfoot
Bigfoot Posts: 154
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well today is the day. A large BGE will be joining the family today. Just a few quick question though. I have read a lot on hinge issues with the egg. What type of hinge comes on the new large BGE? Is there a choice? Is one type better than the others? Or was there ever really an issue regarding the hinge at all? Thanks.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    BigFoot,
    First of all, welcome to the wonderful world of EGG. I am speaking from inexperience, since i do not have a spring hinge, but i have seen them and read alot about them. I have a large with the locking hinge and it works fine for me. I don't really see a need to open the egg up real quick and put it back down quick, so the reach around to release the lever for the locking hinge works just fine for me. I could see the spring coming in handy in that you would not need to set your beer down to close Mr. Egg, but I can get over that. Just my opinion. I hope you get as much from your egg and this forum that I have. It is great livin in the world of EGG.

• Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    Options
    BigFoot,[p]I have had my egg for just a year and a half. My locking hinge works just fine too and I really don't have a problem with it.[p]The new spring hinge looks and sounds like a neat development, but not really a big deal, as compared to getting the BGE in the first place.[p]Either way, it'll be fine. The biggest thing will be the cooking experiences you will have with the new egg. The hinge will become really secondary to the great food. [p]The people on this forum are a great resource of knowledge about eggin' and we stand ready to help you with technique, foods, etc. Everyone here is glad to help.[p]Cajun
  • Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    BigFoot, If there is an option for you, get the spring assist hinge. The main reason for this development was to keep people from accidentally trying to close the dome without releasing the locking mechanism on the lockeing hinge, there by having a catastophic accident with the possibility of the dome coming out of the band and crashing to the ground. Not a pretty picture. If you have the standard non-locking band the distance the dome opens is a downside. Welcome to the world of ceramic cooking. Hope this helps.
    Painter

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    BigFoot,
    Welcome to the family.
    I've had both the latching band and new spring assist on my large. They both work fine. However, the new spring style is so much easier and safer. I just love it and believe it to be a vast improvement. As soon a they're available, I'll get one for my small.
    I heard that all new large eggs are being shipped with the spring band.
    B D

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    BigFoot,
    You probably have your egg now, if you don't, I would insist on the new hinge only because the new ones are being shipped with them. I have the auto-Lock band and it is fine for me although I did accidentally push it off the dome but was lucky enough to catch it before any damage was done.
    Welcome to the board, lots great people and information here.
    New Bob[p]I had to laugh when I saw your handle, my friend, 6'5" tall and about 240 to 260 lbs. has been called that for more years then I can remember, I am less then half his weight and only 5'4" tall was am called Little Foot when I am with him. Ü

• Unknown
    Options
    BigFoot,[p]I have the older band, with the hinge locks on both sides.
    Have had them for nearly 18 yrs, no problems, ever.[p]My father ordered the new spring lock hinge for his large BGE, and I admit, It *IS* better. Easier too. More sturdy too. Solid, etc..etc.....all the buzzwords.[p]Do I "have to" have it? No. I am refurbishing my 18yr old Kamado grill and have been for the past week. I am almost finished. I ordered a new stainless steel damper for the bottom, and I ordered a temp gauge for the dome. I thought about getting the new hinges too, and it would have been nice, but just not "needed" IMHO.[p]If you have choice, and there is no price difference, get the NEW ones. No brainer.[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    gamecock-4-life, I also have an older Kamado that is in some need of repair. Do you know of any way to repair the clay that has flaked off? Also, where did you get all of the replacement parts for your Kamado? Any hints or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!