Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egging 1st Brisket Today!

Options
02Roush2
02Roush2 Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Unfortunately all I could find last night was a 6.2 Lb Flat cut. Dizzy'ed it up last night, filled the drip pan with a good lager/orange juice mix and stuck it on the BGE at 230 degrees. Sure smells great on the deck this morning! I need to swing by the mother ship and find the best place around here to find a "whole" brisket. It's nice to be able to learn from so many of you that have become eggsperts!

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I usually find whole packers at Costco, but the last two times I went looking for one all they had were trimmed flats. Sam's Clubs have also carried them in the past, but I let my membership lapse there several months ago.

There are many butcher shops around that carry them as well. Wilkes has several area locations. Wally World has been known to have them, but I have never purchased one there myself.

Disclaimer: This is not a recommendation for any of the above businesses, nor do I have any interests in the above mentioned businesses, financial or otherwise.
  • GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    Have you tried whole foods? I'm betting you could get one there but you will certainly pay for it. What part of town are you in?
  • 02Roush2
    Options
    I'm over in the Lawrenceville-Suwanee area. After 4.5 hours the brisket is at an internal temp of 163. BGE had cooled to 210 but I have brought the temp back up around 230. Thinking about pulling the brisket off of the BGE around 190 degrees and wrapping it for an hour or two. I think I'm going to try the apple baked beans in the oven and some baked tater's on the BGE..another first!
  • Fidel
    Options
    If you are in the L'Ville-Suwanee area there are two or three shops for you to check out.

First is Wilkes as I mentioned earlier. They have one location right by the airport in L'Ville and another in Suwanee on PIB just north of 317.

Second is Patton's in Duluth. Also on PIB at the corner of North Berkley Lake.

Third is Fresh Market in Suwanee. Also on PIB, but south of McGinnis Ferry. They have a spectacular selection of fresh wild seafood and a pretty good prime beef and lamb counter as well.

I frequent all of them. Sign up for Wilkes and Patton's weekly newsletter and get all kinds of specials emailed to you. For example, I often get pork butts at 79¢ or 89¢ per pound.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    It looks like it has changed a lot in the 9 years I've been gone, but Oak Grove Meat Market used to be a really good butcher shop.

http://www.oakgrovemarket.com/

Michael b
  • 02Roush2
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will check these places out! I know where the Wilkes is on PIB.. I have seen it but have never gone in. Thanks again.
  • 02Roush2
    Options
    Latest update - BGE holding steady between 230 and 240 and brisket has dropped from 169 to 167. Been on the BGE for just over 6 hours. Sure hope it tastes as good as it smells!
  • 02Roush2
    Options
    Hate to be a bother guys but after searching on the forum it looks like the baked taters should be cooked on a pizza stone. I don't have one yet so would cooking them indirect over the plate setter work? Do any of you cook yours on the BGE differently? Thanks for any thoughts.
  • Fidel
    Options
    I do mine straight on the grid. No issues.
  • 02Roush2
    Options
    Perfect. Thanks Rod!
  • 02Roush2
    Options
    7 1/2 hrs and the exiting of the plateau is underway.....temp is rising and now up to 176....dome temp remains constant at 230-240. Does the timing sound about right for a 6.5 lb flat? I plan on doing the fork test around 190 degrees.
  • 02Roush2
    Options
    8.5 hrs at 187 and flunked the fork test. Tough stuff right now! As far as the baked taters...might be interesting taking the plate setter out with just the one BGE grill glove! Rod, you cook yours on the grid using direct heat?

I'll do the fork test again at 190...
  • 02Roush2
    Options
    9 hrs and 194 degrees. Seems to be passing the fork test so I am on my way to wrap and rest this puppy!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a400/02Roush2/IMG_08101.jpg
  • 02Roush2
    Options
    One word....SUCCESS! Thanks to you eggsperts out there we had one heck of a great dinner tonight. The brisket turned out absolutely great, the apple baked beans, while a little spicy, were a big hit and even the brine soaked baked potatoes were great! Thanks for all of your help!