Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bonefish Grill Restaurant Pork Tenderloin Recipe

Options
DynaGreaseball
DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've butterflied and rolled them, rubbed 'em and smoked 'em, pounded and fried 'em, grilled and glazed 'em, but pork tenderloin, while good enough, has never really wowed me--except whenever we eat at the Bonefish Grill Restaurant. If anyone has eaten there, you may have tried their Tenderloin Portabella Piccata which is described as a garlic crumb dusted pork tenderloin, wood-grilled and topped with a flavorful portabella, piccata sauce. Anyway, I want to try to duplicate it as best I can. Any chefs out there have a recipe or ideas about how I might proceed? My biggest problem is trying to figure out how to make a good textured "crust" that will withstand handling on the egg, and not fall away.

TIA

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    I've been to Bonefish several times but never had the pork tenderloin. If you want that crust, though, I would suggest you sear the tenderloin first without the crumbs, then apply the crumbs while you bring the Egg down to a roasting temp. That way you get the flavor of the Malliard reaction on the surface of the meat in addition to the nice garlic crumb crust.

Also, not sure if you've tried this, but I find that any kind of sweet/spicy topping I can add (my favorite is raspberry chipotle sauce, which you can buy or make pretty easily) just really takes a pork tenderloin over the top. Try it once with a coating of Dizzy Shakin' the Tree and then some warmed raspberry chipotle sauce drizzled over the medallions - in my opinion it doesn't get much better.

Good luck in your recipe search and let us know how the results turn out!

TRex
  • I believe there is a site "copycatrecipes"....we've done KFC chicken, Chick filet's chicken, Applebee's Chinese Chick Salad dressing.
    Just a suggestion.
    Kim
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Checked that site with no luck. All that a Google search brings up is BF restaurants in various locales. Probably have to explore pork tenderloin piccata recipes and and use the old trial & error method.

Rascal
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    I've never been to Bonefish Grill, and never had the dish you asked about, but...

I'd get my crust from panko: pound the tenderloin out thin, dip in beaten egg and dredge with panko. Fry the tenderloin on a lightly oiled griddle on the egg - 375 or thereabouts ought to sufficient to brown it without burning.

What has me more concerned is the "portabella piccata sauce". Mushrooms aren't a typical ingredient in piccata sauces. I'd chop portabella to a size approximating those in the original sauce and saute them in butter before adding to the other ingredients in your favorite piccata sauce recipe.

HTH
    Ken
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    I like the panko idea. Think I might get a nice crust if I mixed cornmeal with the flour, and maybe a little bit of crushed, drained, sauteed peppercorns?
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I have not tried it but the portabella mushroom piccata sauce also peaked my interest. I went to a number of cook books and the closest recipes I found all used lemon juice, some herbs and sometimes lemon zest. The herbs varied from parlsley to thyme along with salt and pepper.
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Initially I wasn't considering dredging in flour... you could, and in that case a 50/50 flour to coarse-ground grits mix would be in line with the crunch you're looking for. A little coarse ground black pepper ain't gonna hurt either.

Ken
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Don't forget the capers. -RP
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Yea, not sure how I'm going to incorporate portabellas in my piccata sauce, but I'll probably stick with a pretty standard one to include capers, lemon juice and parsley. Thanks for looking.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    It took me awhile to understand the "malliard" definition :huh: in the dictionary, but that's exactly what I'm after. Thanks.
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Try giving them a call and ask for the recipe. I've had luck with some restaurants in getting a favorite recipe. They usually leave something out but it comes in real close. Good luck, Tom
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Who'd a thunk it???

I did call, and while they wouldn't give away all the details, they told me that the crust was obtained with Panko.

Thanks for suggesting calling. I didn't think they'd tell the public anything.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    So what did they tell you?
  • Just that the crust was obtained by using Panko bread crumbs, plus some other herbs. I couldn't get anymore out of him. By the way, I didn't do this on the egg last night. I did everything in a frying pan, and the piccata was simply a pan sauce using the yummies from sauteing the tenderloin and adding lemon juice, butter, parsley, some chicken stock and capers.

Since the dish is called Porabella, I decided to finely chop some mushrooms and add them to the piccata sauce. That worked out nicely.

It was very close in taste to theirs, but I'd say it's not so adaptable for cooking on my egg. More of a frying pan recipe.

Thanks for everyone's input.