Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tuna steaks with blueberries

stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
yes. blueberries.

TunaPlated.jpg

A week ago (there's so much activity on the forum now that a week means page FOUR of the forum) i asked for ideas re: fish.

Fishless chimed in with about thirty ideas. ...this was one of them

http://www.eggheadforum.com/archives//2005/messages/195200.htm

This was maybe the BEST new dish i have done in a year. He makes the point that it works well for overcooked fish. I had to cook one of the steaks a little more done than I'd like, and it really was fine.

Here's the thing i really liked about it. it messed with my mind. At the root of it, it looks like a basic teryaki marinade. I was expecting 'sweet'. Got a little nervous when cooking the marinade because frankly, I couldn't get a handle on the flavors. I was literally concerned that maybe some of the measurements were off (did he mean tsp or TBSP??!?!).

it came together right at the end, when the marinade got reheated as the steaks cooked. I plated the tuna on mixed greens, spooned some of the chunkier bits of the marinade on the steak, and spooned the warm marinade sauce over top and on the greens, to wilt them a bit.

I also added fresh blueberries (chilean, but hey) to the marinade when it was reheating (so they'd soften), and put some uncooked ones on top, too, when serving. The fresh ones were a nice counterpart to the softness of the others. served with cubed sweet potatoes, roasted at high heat.

Perfect amount of heat on the lips from the Jamaican Firewalk (Dizzy Pig rub). I'm pretty sure that was a fishlessman modification to what he says was an old LL Bean recipe.

anyway... long post. but DO try this if you want a real surprise. Nothing like i was expecting, and ten times better than i'd hoped.
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    i think it origionally had red pepper flakes, firewalk is better. the origional recipe didnt have blueberries, but i get bucket loads up at camp. yours definately looks better plated with the greens.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    the blueberries were your add, too? i really thought that was the only "LL Bean" thing about it. the Firewalk was perfect. perfect amount.

that's damn good stuff, mike. you should make THAT at the New England Fest.
  • mojopin
    mojopin Posts: 200
    That looks great! I'm drooling, I can believe how hungry I am now. I'm having a salad for lunch, but it will be nothing in comparison to what you made.
    That will be on my list of things to cook.

-Jill
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    That's looking WAYYYYYY too good: I'm gonna have to try it myself.

Thanks for posting.

Ken
  • Well Geoff, That looks passable, though it is making me salivate.
    Seriously though, how'd you do the Tuna? was some of it rare or in this recipe is it cooked all the way through?
  • stike
    well.... i cooked it rare for me. i cooked it until it was white all the way thru for the guests.
    either way, personal pref.

it was very passable. we had it saturday night, and i passed it sunday afternoon.
  • OzarkQ
    OzarkQ Posts: 150
    What is the prepared ginger in the recipie? Is that the pickled Japanese version or a suryp or??