Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire Started

Options
Bigfoot
Bigfoot Posts: 154
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok I have been pricing eggs all over Houston and the best that I am going to do is $549 (egg only). I am going to give it one more day of looking then I am just going to have to dive in. Now, still trying to figure out all the right accessories to go with it, what about fire starters? How is the best way to get your fire started in the egg and get it burning evenly? Thanks

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    BigFoot,
    Any of those parafin starter sticks, cubes, chunks work fine. I buy the camping firestarter sticks for a buck a dozen, and break each one into 4 chunks. I have even hacked up those cheap firestarter logs into little chunks (though that was a mess...even though it worked well). Weber cubes, though more expensive, work great. Lots of options on the firestarter front. Some folks just love their torches for starting! Others dig the eectric starter. I use nothing but little chunks of firestarter.[p]For indirect cooks, I use one chunk, and for direct cooks when I want even cooking I will start 3 around the perimeter.[p]Best of luck getting set up and cooking!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    BigFoot, NB did a good job of covering the bases but he did leave out the chimney starter. This uses a single sheet of newspaper with lump place above it. Light the newspaper, wait an infinitely long time(actually about 10-15 minutes based on last Sunday's exercise), pull the chimney up and voila - a fire. Then just put more lump on. My personal choice is the elctric starter (with a few starter cubes and my ancient chimney starter in reserve just in case the power goes out or I finally burn the starter out).

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Wise One,
    ...and I'll go you one better; instead of crumpled newspaper, I use one Weber cube under the chimney starter, which is set right on the base of lump in the Egg. Add more lump in the chimney and light the Weber cube. Ten minutes later, chimney's full of burning lump which I dump evenly over the top before adding the grill. This is PERFECT for getting an even bed of burning coals.
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Options
    BigFoot,[p]Another Houstonian! I live in Stafford (Ft. Bend) Bought my large at Barbeques Galore on I-59. I spent about $600 for a large and all the eggcessories. Since then, I added a mini and a table to hold them.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Gretl,
    That is brilliant. I'll have to try that![p]Howdy to the family.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Gretl, I like that because you don't have any newspaper "remnants" left over. I always have the feeling those little pieces are going to wind up in my food. However, on my fire I built in a open pit (2'x6') Sunday, the fire got so hot there was nothing left in the coals to get on the food. I was wishing I could have just brought my egg. It was quite warmish around that fire.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    BigFoot,
    I prefer the electric starter. Takes about as long as drinking a beer to get to cooking temp. But I do keep some fire starter cubes on hand just in case there's a problem.

• Birdman
    Birdman Posts: 66
    Options
    BigFoot, I use a mapp burner, pretty much the same as a propane torch that uses mapp gas. I just put the tip deep enough into the lump so that sparks won't go flying out. I like it much better than firestarters and electric starters.

• regularguy
    regularguy Posts: 17
    Options
    BigFoot,
    i use a electric starter i got two just in case power goes out!!

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    BigFoot,
    A friend made this for me a few years ago. It works great with an egg.

[ul][li]propane firestick[/ul]
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    BigFoot,
    For over 40 years I have been using firestarters that I learned to make as a Boyscout years ago. Carboard rolled, tied and dipped in parrifin wax. Never fails.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    BigFoot,
    I use weber starter cubes. If you are going to do a low/slow cook, place 1 cube on top of the lump, maybe nestled down in just a bit, and light it. For steaks and a 750 degree cook, I either put 2 or 3 way down in the lump and light them, or I put 2 under the grate and light them.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz