Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fantastic Flank Steak!!!

Options
Wardster
Wardster Posts: 1,006
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had to post this one...
Just got back from my honeymoon in Calif. While there I went to a Mexican place that served the best flank I had ever had and I swore to replicate it. Boy did I!!!
Pounded a flank steak down to 1/2-3/4 inches. In my food processor, I whipped up 1 bunch of cliantro, 7 cloves of garlic, juice of 1 lime, 1 tbs of white onion, 1 tsp of kosher salt and enough olive oil to make it a nice paste, like a pesto. Rubbed it all over the steak and let it sit for and hour or so.
Grilled her at 400*ish for 3 min a side and I could not believe the results. I had given up on Flank because of how tough they are, not matter how you cut it. Not this one. Served it with a good homemade salsa dish and some black beans. Has to be a top 5 dish off my egg. I can provide the salsa recipe if anyone wants... real easy. The only catch for this one is that you must be a fan of cilantro.

Apollo Beach, FL

Comments

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    Wardster,
    Yes, please, the recipe for the cilantro pesto. Am mad for cilantro and your description of the flank steak makes one's mouth water. And congratulations are in order I do believe.

• Wardster
    Options
    Gloria,
    The cilantro pesto in on the prior post. As I had created it for the first time, the amounts are more or less.
    The salsa is from a great salsa book I have and is as follows;
    2 Tbs finely diced white onion, placed in a strainer, rinsed with hot water and drained
    8 Roma Tomatoes, about 1 lb, diced
    2 serrano chilies, I used 1 big jalepeno, either one with seeds
    2 tbs finley chopped fresh cilantro, I used about 4
    1 tsp of sugar
    1 tsp of koser salt
    juice of 1 lime
    mix all thoroughly in a bowl. If the tomatoes are acidic, add a little more sugar, but not too much. You don't want the salsa to taste of sugar. Let it sit for 30 min.[p]If anyone likes this recipe, I have another one for a tomatillo-avacado salsa that right on time with some grilled chicken.[p]Hope it's enjoyed!!

Apollo Beach, FL
  • HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    Wardster,
    First, congrats to you and your new bride and marriage.
    Second, I'll accept your gracious offer for the salsa dish, as we meet your criteria for love of cilantro. I'm also glad to read a recipe for flank steak that does not require "pre-chewing" the darned thing!

• Wardster
    Options
    Holy Smokes,
    Thanks, the best part about the wedding was the small egg that was given as a present. If I would have known that, we would have been married a long time ago!!!
    See my response to Gloria for the salsa recipe.
    If you try it, let me know what you think.
    Enjoy!

Apollo Beach, FL
  • Unknown
    Options
    Wardster,
    please go ahead and post the other recipe, it sounds great.
    Seth

• Byrdo
    Byrdo Posts: 36
    Options
    Wardster,[p]Yes, Please post your tomatillo-avacado salsa recipe. I can't wait to try it.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Wardster, do you believe your marinade tenderized the flank steak, or did you luck-out with the meat purchase? I have yet to do a flank or skirt steak that is chewable.[p]
  • Ellen aka Gormay
    Options
    Dear George,[p]I think pounding the meat was probably helpful in making it more tender by breaking down the tough fibers. I have always liked skirt steak as I find the flavor delicious and happen to enjoy chewy textures sometimes. I have eaten extremely tender, but flavorless beef in restaurants and would have gladly exchanged them for a skirt steak done rare.[p]This recipe sounds delicious (love cilantro) and I will definitely try it on the skirt steak in the freezer. I can see slicing the cooked meat thinly, rulling it in a flour tortilla with some fresh salsa and a squeeze of lime. Yum!