Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Ham Recipes

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking for smoked ham recipes. Want to cook 1 for family on Easter.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Carl,

There are several posts regarding Smoked Ham in the last few days. Here is the link to one of the posts.

Read all the posts in this thread.

http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=420604&catid=1

GG
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    carl,
    This one is excellent :[p]Maple-Bourbon Ham*
    by John Hall (egret)[p]Ingredients :[p]Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
    10-12 # cooked, ready to eat ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
    1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
    Cherry and Apple Chunks[p]Preparation :[p]The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).
    Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    Stabilize egg at 250° with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° (this should take about 5 hours). [p]Maple-Bourbon Paste[p]2 Tbls. pure Maple Syrup
    2 Tbls. freshly ground Black Pepper
    2 Tbls. Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
    1 Tbls. Bourbon
    1 Tbls. Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbls. Paprika
    1 Tbls. Onion Powder
    2 tsp. coarse Salt, either kosher or sea salt[p]*This is a truncated version of Maple-Bourbon Glazed Ham that was posted on the forum (author unknown).[p][p][p]

• mojopin
    mojopin Posts: 200
    carl,[p]Egret's Bourbon Ham is a winner in our house. And I've heard great things about Dr. Chicken's double smoked ham. Here are the recipes! Good luck!
    btw, you are going to have more luck on the 'new' forum, just click green link at the top of this forum.
    -Jill[p]Maple-Bourbon Ham
    by John Hall (egret)[p]Ingredients :[p]Maple-Bourbon Paste (recipe follows)
    10-12 # cooked, ready to eat ham (bone-in Butt or Shank section)
    1/2-1 cup Maple Syrup
    Cherry and Apple Chunks[p]Procedure :[p]The day before smoking, place ham in a pan flat side down. Inject in multiple locations with maple syrup (use more than 1 cup if it will take it).
    Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    Stabilize egg at 250° with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° (this should take about 5 hours). I, sometimes, inject with more maple syrup about one hour before ham is done.[p]Maple-Bourbon Paste[p]2 Tbls. pure Maple Syrup
    2 Tbls. freshly ground Black Pepper
    2 Tbls. Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
    1 Tbls. Bourbon
    1 Tbls. Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbls. Paprika
    1 Tbls. Onion Powder
    2 tsp. coarse Salt, either kosher or sea salt[p][p]

[ul][li]Dr. Chicken's Ham [/ul]
  • mojopin
    egret,[p]you beat me! LOL I was too busy copying and pasting and linking.[p]Jill
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
  • mojopin,[p]Thanks for the recipe.What cut of ham do you feel is best and do you use uncooked? Do you have a wood preferance?

• egret,[p]Thanks for the recipe. Do you have a wood preference? Also, what type of ham do you prefer and is it uncooked?

• Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Carl,[p]
    I think the recipe calls for a pre-cooked (ready to eat) ham. I also thought I saw cherry and apple chunks for the wood type.

• mojopin
    Carl,[p]I use the bone in shank, the precooked ones are the way to go for this. Then you are double smoking the ham. I either go with Cherry or Pecan wood most of the time.[p]-Jill
  • Mike in Abita,[p]Thanks Mike

• Grandpas Grub
    I like cherry 1st and apple 2nd. Some folks are mixing the two.

Of course others use Pecan, and the other flavors.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    No not at all. See my post above and the referenced link.

This process works great. We did 6 hams during Christmas and are doing 3 this weekend.

The results, or better stated, the results I had came out better than Honey Baked Ham.

GG
  • mojopin,[p]Last ?. If the ham is already cooked would seem cooking it twice would make it tough. Am I missing something?

• mojopin
    Carl,[p]You have to reheat the already cooked ham to temp anyhow, so you are just adding more flavor and smoke to the party. Plus the BGE hardly ever dries food out, it is great in keeping moisture in your meat. Keep the temp low on the dome, no more than 250 degrees.[p]-Jill
  • egret,[p]Have you tried this with a *spiral-cut* ham? I'm worried it might dry out, as more is exposed to the smoke...