Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

\"The\" chicken

AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For the last 10 years or so, my daughters boyfriends, and some now husbands, have liked this recipe so much that they dubbed it "The chicken". Last night I combined my new love of cooking veggies in chicken fat with this unusual chicken recipe, thought I'd share.

I chopped up some potatoes, poblano pepper, bell pepper, mushrooms, and a sweet onion.
IMG_0813Small.jpg
Then added minced garlic, thyme, rosemary, S&P, and parsley. I tossed them together in a disposable lasagna pan. IMG_0815Small.jpg
Next took chicken quarters and tossed them in a ziplock with some flour, they don't need any seasoning.
IMG_0816Small.jpg
Set the Egg up with the plate setter legs up, raised grid, and dome temp 350. The chicken parts go on the top shelf with the veggies underneath.
IMG_0818Small.jpg
I let that cook for 90 minutes while I gathered up the ingredients for the sauce. Juice of 1 lemon, 2 Tbs crushed red pepper, 2 Tbs black pepper, 1 Tbs cayene pepper, 4 Tbs kosher salt, 2 Tbs chile powder, 2 Tbs Louisiana hot sauce, 2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce, 1 Tbs garlic powder, 2 Tbs dijon mustard, and 1 pint of white vinegar. I whisked that together and brought it to a boil then whisked in 1/2 cup of vegetable oil.
IMG_0811Small.jpg
With the sauce very hot, I pulled the chicken from the Egg, and dipped it then set it on a piece of foil. I drizzled a few extra Tbs of the sauce over the piece then wrapped it up tight in the foil. Note: the sauce is supposed to be thin, do not try to thicken it. The idea is it steeps into the meat. The foil packages get wrapped in towels and put into a cooler for 30-60 minutes.
IMG_0820Small.jpg
The Veggies were outstanding.
IMG_0821Small.jpg
And the chicken was, well "The" chicken. -RP
IMG_0822Small.jpg

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Looks good, Randy. Gotta try that one. I believe you posted that some time ago and called it "Steeped Chicken"!? Or, am I imagining things again? :ohmy:
  • Randy that looks real good. I'm going to try it! Are you going to
    eggs by the Bay in June?
    Ross
  • AZRP
    We talked about it but not sure yet. -RP
  • AZRP
    I probably did, but this recipe has evolved some since then. I added the mustard as an emulsifier and cut the oil in half. It allows the oil to stay in suspension and gets more sauce into the chicken. Where are you going to publish the Fl cookbook? -RP
  • I hope to see you and your wife there.
    My Best,
    Ross
  • BBQonJ
    BBQonJ Posts: 60
    DId some chicken myself this weekend with less success than this. Yours looks great. Mine took a lot less time. What temp did you use?

Thanks,

Dave
  • AZRP
    350 dome temp, I take the leg quarters to 195-200 internal temp. The chicken is done at 170, but at the higher temps it is falling apart and that is good eats. -RP
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    That looks incredible. Did you toss any oil in with the veggies, or does the chicken render quickly enough to keep the veggies in good shape?

And judging by the sauce ingredients the chicken seems like it would be pretty spicy. Am I reading correctly? I'm just trying to gauge if my young daughters would eat it. I guess I could always not dip their chicken in the sauce.

Great recipe, thanks for sharing. I am looking forward to trying it out.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    that looks darn good, will try that soon, i need a change up chicken thigh recipe and that looks like it would do it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AZRP
    The veggies get all the lubrication they need! As to the spiciness, you would think by the ingredients it could choke a horse, but it really doesn't come out that spicy. The flavor actually steeps into the meat and is not spicy at all, worst case for your daughter would be to remove the skin. -RP
  • AZRP
    It's been a favorite around our house for a long time. -RP
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Looks good Randy. I always went by the don't let chicken drip on anything but I guess you have been doing this a long time. Have you got any of those son-in-laws egging?
    You got rooms and everything for Oklahoma?

Mike
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    That looks great Randy. I have both eggs going right now with 2 racks of ribs on 1 & soon to start ABT's and your famous shrimp. I promise to follow the recipe this time. ;)

Pat
  • AZRP
    All set for OK. As far as the chicken drippings, I got that idea off of Paula Deans show where she went to Paris. A guy had multiple rotisseries going and all the juices were dripping onto potatoes below them. Hope I'm not promoting an unsafe practice. I figured the juices are cooked to safe temps in the veggies. -RP
  • AZRP
    Pat, cut back on the salt, I only used half what the recipe calls for in Ocala. -RP
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Thanks. I'm doing 2 pounds, is it ok to double everything else?

Pat
  • AZRP
    I don't know, might have to send the shrimp police out. God, I've seen too many Emerils. :blush: -RP
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    It'll be published on the sites of QBabe, WessB, and Naked Whiz.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    RP,
    That looks absolutely terrific!! I am not much of a chicken person, but am definitely going to try that one. I just spent 10 mins copying word for word and photo by photo that recipe into word for saving!! It is 19.8 mb..hehe...If I hadn't already placed my order with my butcher for this weekend I would do it then! Thanks so much for sharing that!
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Shouldn't be unsafe long as the taters get done..I usually cook mine to around 200 internal (baked, wedges, etc) so that should kill any residuals.. ;)
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Been a lurker for a while and finally bought a large last week. One quick question, do you continue to cook the veggies while the chicken rests?
  • AZRP
    Actually I've done this twice, the first time I let the chicken cook 30 minutes then put the vegies on for the las hour. This time I had a lot more veggies so I put them on for the whole hour and a half. Both times they were very good. -RP
  • metrylee
    metrylee Posts: 94
    going to try ur recipe thursday looks great
    but going to use breast,thanks
  • grok
    grok Posts: 32
    AZRP : when the chicken is removed from the grill, do you remove the veggies at that time too? or do they get another 30-60 minute cook while the chicken is steeped? I need an answer in 5 minutes ;)

thanks for the inspiration sir!
  • grok
    grok Posts: 32
    I have a follow-on question -- do you save your leftover chicken juice, and if so, how do you use it? I made mine using the spatchcock method, cut it into quarters after the cook, and used about 2-3tbs juice for each foil package in addition to the dunking, and there is still about half leftover. It is too yummy to pour down the drain, I think..