Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket help.

Options
Car Wash Mike
Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm batting .250 on briskets. One for four, kinda like my KC Royals. On sale for 89 cents a pound and want to try another. I need help on time temps and prep. Don't need anything fancy just edible.
Thanks for your help,[p]CWM

Comments

• alternity
    alternity Posts: 49
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    I like to inject mine. Have had great results with various mixtures I have concocted. Be creative and if you have an injector you may want to give it a whirl.[p] alt

• Unknown
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]I'm doing one as we speak. I've read, low and slow, meaning 225 dome temp, 200 lowest, and cook, and cook, and cook, UNTIL the internal temp reaches 200 on the meat.[p]I have read this takes about 20 hrs, give or take a few.[p]If you try to rush it, it WILL suck. Just what I have read.
    Bottom line, DON'T RUSH IT!, And secondly, DON'T Fiddle around with the dampers. [p]Get three handfulls of lump going red hot, with the Dome OPEN, then, bury the hot coals under a pile of fresh lump, this will act as a heat deflector too. Put your meat on a drip pan, so the fat WILL NOT drip down into the fire. That would eventualy put the fire out anyway at low and slow.[p]Completely fill the bottom of the firebox with fresh lump. Put the grill on, throw the meat on, and close it up. You should be real close to 225 this way.[p]Gotta Go

• Unknown
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Choose the rub you want and rub the night before, let it sit the frig until your ready to put it on.
    If you cook with a dome temp of 225º for the first 4 to 5 hour you should get a very good smokering at that point push the dome temp to say 250º, cooking in direct that means your grate temp should be something below that.
    If you cook at a dome temp of 225 and want to get to 200º internal it will take forever. You can cook at a low temp to long and cause problems also, like the drying out of the flat.
    Cooking at 250º dome a 12 to 13 full brisket will take 16 to 18 hours on average, these are the kind of times we use while competing and have found them to produce high quality briskets.
    Jim

• Unknown
    Options
    Jim Minion,[p]Yeah? Whatda YOU know? LOL. Just kidding. I'm learning just like the poster, so thanks for the info.[p]
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]I would pull the brisket once the meat temp reaches 180-185º. Then, place on a large piece of foil, pour 1/2 cup beef broth over it and wrap tightly in foil.[p]You can then wrap in a towel and place in an ice chest.[p]Allow this to rest for at least one hour. [p]Stogie

• Huck
    Huck Posts: 110
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    I just finished a big 20 pounder last night. It was 22" across! I tried to keep the dome temp to 200. It snuck up to 220 a few times (ambitious tinkering by the father-in-law while I was at work!) Well, it took almost 23 hours but it was/is (a big chunk-o-chest like that is just too much for one sit down!) fantastic. It could just about be pulled. The deep beef flavor with the hickory smoke is just delicious. It's amazing and is my favorite. Even if you have to pull the meat out and reload with fresh, large coal to allow a steady slow cook, I think it's worth it. Low and slow is the only way to go. I didn't wrap it or anything. I put it in with a drip pan and heat deflector under it with Pappy's seasoning dusted all over it. That's all. No marinade, injection, wrapping or anything. Just time and temp. I only wish I had more stomach!!!!

• Unknown
    Options
    Jim Minion,
    I am kinda new to the Q world, what does Brisket taste like. My memories are of my mom with a brisket and a can of coke and all day in the oven. What is it like in the egg?
    Seth

• Unknown
    Options
    Seth Howard,
    There are those that do marinade in coke but I have not tried that. No mater what you would cook it on it should be a distinct beef flavor. It should be tender enough that if cut 1/4" thick slices, you grab each end of the piece and with a lite tug it will slightly pull and come apart.
    Jim