Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tough as my wife brisket

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I smoked a 6 1/2 lb brisket @220 degrees for 8hrs. stuck a thermomatar in sideways @ found it to be tender at the thick end @ tough at the thin end.Cooked it ten hrs --tough as a boot!!! Tough as my wife!! HELP HELP PLEASE__ SAD RON

Comments

• Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    What temp was the meat at? I'm not much help, I've tried brisket x3 and ended up with "Tough as my Moma" brisket.
  • I have cooked 20+ briskets in my Eggs over time, I have found unless you cook a whole packer brisket (point & flat)you are sort of wasting your time.

It really amazes me to see so many people cooking brisket flats and then complaining about how damn tough they are...you are simply trying to do what is next to impossible to do.

Having an award winning brisket is as easy as buying the right cut of meat and letting the Egg work...stay out of it's way and you will be fine (don't open the Egg for 11-15 hours).

If you can't find whole packers, than cook a pork butt and be happy. :)

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• I cook at around 240 or so for up to 2 hrs/lb til temp is about 195. At around 165 or so I foil w/a few tbs of liquid. To me once you pull off you need to rest the foiled brisket in towels placed in a cooler. I ususally let it rest an hr or two.

collage.jpg

Brisket on my website

Good Luck
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    sad ron,[p]Well that's a long time for the flat on a 6.5 brisket. When you stuck in this thermometer, what was the reading? Is this a trimmed brisket? Given the size it sounds like it probably was. Was there any fat on it or was it devoid of fat? If the latter, did you put any on it? Need more details. Please answer in old forum. Thanks.[p]MShark
  • Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    sad ron,[p]I believe it was overcooked, possible with a lack of moisture (fat, or additive). Some people put a pan on top of the platesetter (below the brisket), with at least water.[p]For more info, jump to the NEW forum[p]-Jeeves
  • mark9765
    mark9765 Posts: 122
    Well said. I have cooked several briskets and never had a tough one. I always cook a whole packer. I hope people read your post it may save a lot of wasted time and effort. There is only so much an egg can do.
  • Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Nice site (pics and info)!!

Please keep it up!

-Jeeves
  • ThrRoff
    ThrRoff Posts: 169
    I am going to go with those thinking it was the small size. A whole packer with Experienced's technique is the way to go.
    brisketweb.jpg
  • mollyshark,
    Brisket had fat.Didn't take temp--thought 8hrs was enough time. The fat part was fairly tender.The other end wasn't.Thanks for your help.

• Thanks for your help. I will go packer trim from now on.
  • Biscuit
    Biscuit Posts: 208
    sad ron wrote:
    I smoked a 6 1/2 lb brisket @220 degrees for 8hrs. stuck a thermomatar in sideways @ found it to be tender at the thick end @ tough at the thin end.Cooked it ten hrs --tough as a boot!!! Tough as my wife!! HELP HELP PLEASE__ SAD RON

Sad Ron
    Brisket is not one of those cooks you can just nail first time out.Keep trying. Wrap your brisket in foil and cooler it for 1 hour before you try to eat it.I pull it at 190 deg internal, I also give it a marinade for 24 Hrs before the cook. Don't give up because when you get it right it's heaven. BTW I cook a flat to perfection, but it took me a while to get it down
  • sad ron,
    It's done when it's done. You can't cook brisket by time because the brisket can't see the clock.

• I'm certainly not an expert as we've only done one cook on our egg....but it was a brisket. It was only 4.5 lbs and it came out beautifully. We cooked it for 9.5 hours at 250 (the temp wavered a bit throughout though as it was our first and we had a bad wind storm. The temp didn't go above 250, just lower at points). We put a drip pan beneath with equal parts beer and apple juice. We smoked with apple chips, did a nice thick homemade rub and then basted twice during the cook with the beer, apple juice and olive oil. We pulled at 170 degrees and wrapped it in foil for about 15-20 minutes before we cut. It sliced like butter and was as juicy as you could possibly ask for.

A couple of things I would suggest is to make sure you let it rest and to cut against the grain. Cutting with the grain of the meat will leave you with a tougher product. Don't give up!!!
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    sad ron,[p]You have to go by temperature with brisket. Because of the huge size diff between a point and a flat (the hump and the, well, flat part) they frequently finish at different times. Keep an eye on the temp. Once it gets past that 160 looooong stretch, it will climb pretty quick. Pull at 190. If the point isn't quite done, cut off the flat and wrap it in foil and then in a beach towel and stick it out of the way of the dog. Then let the point come to 190. A lot of people do artsy things with the point at this juncture, but if you're looking for plain old brisket, just let it finish and give it the wrap treatment. I've had briskets take less than an hour a point and some 1-1/2 hrs. Time is NOT the best indicator.[p]mShark
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Darry the problem is some places you simply can not buy a packer. Remember we don't all live in beef country.

I have tried till I am blue to explain to people I was a WHOLE Brisket untrimmed and WITH the point. Most of the butchers I talk to here tell me they can't get them. The only one that could said they'd be prime and cost me $50.00-$75.00 each. If I am going to pay that much for a hunk of beef it's going to say RIBEYE on the cryrovac.

Now I have produced some good flats, but I know I can do better IF I can find a packer.
  • TMac
    TMac Posts: 15
    Newbie here, but I've cooked two briskets and they were great....beginners luck, but there were two things I did that basically were just guesses. First was I bought the biggest 'packed' brisket I could find (wrapped in plastic from the packing house) and the second was I asked the butcher not to strip any of the fat.

When I prepared the briskets....I took a little (very little fat) off and then followed everyones instructions on preparation. I then cooked them in the egg, fat side up, for 9 hours and 13 hours respectively until they reached temp.

When I pulled them out, they were tender and I found that most of the fat had been reduced during the cook.

I've heard that I should have put the fat side down and that I should have trimmed more off. What are the groups suggestions?

Also, what is the difference between point and flat brisket and what I bought....whould it be considered a whole packer brisket?

Thanks,
    Terry McManus
  • CW,

You of all people should be able to locate briskets, all those competitors in your area...you telling me their all cooking flats?

If I couldn't find the right cut of meat, I'm not sure continuing to buy the wrong cut would make me feel any better. Although if you can learn to cook a flat to perfection...you're a damn fine pit master in my book.

-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    I am telling you exactly that Darry. I have searched high and low for packers. Every meat monger I call tells me the same thing. They can not get them.

When I compete in Salisbury The Virginian is getting packers for me. Gawd knows if anybody can tell me where to get packers anywhere near Raleigh/Durham let me know.

Yes Smitty I am getting close to that perfect flat.. The Egg Rules.
  • Try looking up a wholesale foodservice distributor in any area, such as a Sysco or U.S. Foodservice. They should have those packers in stock.