Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How tippy is the Egg?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all! I'm a new poster and not yet an Egghead. I'm thinking about getting a medium BGE, but have a rather unusual concern that I haven't found addressed in the archives.[p]I live on a floating home, which is basically a house built on a large floating platform. I'm on the Columbia River, where it gets pretty windy at times. The swim float, which is where the BGE would be set up, is fairly stable (it's big and doesn't bob as much as a boat would, but tips a little when you step onto it), but does move, sometimes quite a bit, when the wind gets up.[p]The BGE attracts me in part because of its small footprint, perfect for the limited space on a swim float; however, the same small footprint makes me think it might also be less stable than a larger grill. How tippy is the BGE when it's set up in its metal nest? I don't want to come home and find it in pieces or gone entirely (when things get blown or roll off the deck, you can't just walk into a neighbor's yard to retrieve them - they go in the river).[p]Has anybody had any experience using these on a floating home? Any ideas?

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    From your description, it sounds like the floaty bit isn't going to tip enough to cause a problem. The main tippy problem with Eggs is rolling them in the nest. You should always pull the nest towards you, never push on the Egg away from you. But, I'm sure that if the nest were not quite stable enough, you could rig something to give it a slightly wider base. For example, you could take the wheels off, and bolt the nest to crossing 2x4's that provide a wider base. You could then put wheels on the 2x4's. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Bob In Texas
    Options
    Rebecca in Portland, I don't consider my large egg really tippy, but it's on casters, and when I roll it I am very careful. It could easily turn over. I have seen photos of some that have, and I don't want to have the Humpty Dumpty syndrome. As far as it in the nest or stand, I consider it stable. But.......the way you intend on using it, I would remove the casters, and stabilize it with lag bolts into the deck. Of course you couldn't roll it around, but it would be anchored down. I wouldn't tell you to go for it, but myself, I would feel comfortable with it tied down with the lag bolts.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Iffin I were you I'd think about having some metal shop fabricate a gimbal for you to anchor your egg to the deck. A gibel moves freely and will always keep your lighted egg upright and not slapping shut when you hit a wave. It should not cost too much at all and I know you'd love it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I haven't seen any but I understand offshore charter fishing boats use Eggs a lot - especially the ones that overnight offshore. I suspect they are using a medium or small, stow the Egg when not in use, and ensure that it is secure when taken out for use.

I think TNW and Bob have Eggcelent suggetions. Just satisfy yourself that the Egg is stable by either widening the base or securing to the swim float.

Did the Coumbia River, Oregon wine country, and the coast last year - nice!!

Good luck and remember - Eggs don't float.
  • A gimbal, as RRP said, is a great idea. This is what we did with a sailboat. If you have one built, you might want to consider having the ability to lock the gimbals in place. Opening the dome on a fully free-gimbaled egg could tilt it well past vertical when cooking. The rest of the time, let it swing.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    How about a few (perhaps 3) ss guy wires with turn buckles to secure it to the deck. BTW, if it should go overboard and sink, that's a good thing...(bad eggs float)! 8 - )

Rascal
  • Bob In Texas and Rebecca in Portland,[p]Could the casters be removed, and the nest screwed to the platform? Just a thought
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Rebecca in Portland,
    For more and possibly better answers, [p]

[ul][li]Click here[/ul]
  • Bob In Texas
    Options
    B0b,
    Of course you'ed have to remove the casters to screw it down to the deck. Just use the existing holes.