Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

9 lb Pork Shoulder..now what?

vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
edited 11:19AM in EggHead Forum
My wife bought a 9+ lb Pork Shoulder at Kroeger for .99 pp. She wants me to fix it for Easter. My question is:

do I inject it and cook it like a ham

or do I do it low & slow like a pork butt?

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated... :)

Kim Youngblood
(aka vidalia1)
Lawrenceville, GA
·

Comments

• AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    A pork shoulder and a butt are one and the same. Technically a whole shoulder is the picnic and the butt. Cook it low and slow. If it came from Kroeger my bet is that it has already been injected with a sodium solution. They call it enhanced but to me pulled pork is much better without it. -RP
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,303
    like has been said, check to see if its enhanced, if it is i wouldnt cook it for an easter dinner. this is something thats good to try for a holiday instead of regular pull.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/archives//2004/messages/110702.htm
    ·
  • vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Thanks guys...I thought low & slow was the way to go...I will look for enhanced on the package.....

Kim Youngblood
    (aka vidalia1)
    Lawrenceville, GA
    ·
  • BlueSmokeBlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    re: "fix it for Easter"

Think about presentation. You have a shoulder, so the grain will be more like a butt and less like a ham. While you can slice it, you won't get the nice "round" slices you'd get from a real ham (hind leg). It'll look okay - just not ham.

Think about taste. You have a piece of fresh pork, and not enough time before Easter to cure it. Now matter what, it's going to taste like roast pork, not like roast ham. It'll taste good - just not ham.

Because I like to play with my food, I'd remove the bones and cure it like prosciutto. In 4 to 6 weeks, I'd lightly smoke it.

In the meantime, I'd pick up a real hame for this coming Easter.

Ken
    ·