Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ruth Chris Steakhouse question

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First of all I've never been to one and doubt I ever will but I keep hearing an ad on national radio about it. At the end they say they serve your steak on a plate that is 500°. If that is so what keeps it from overcooking the steak or do they time it someway that the 500° is part of the overall cooking scheme?

BTW I have some of those metal steak plates with protective holders that you can heat to keep a steak hot for some time, but I hate to use them as it dulls steak knifes easily and quickly.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    maybe it's one of those metal sizzling "fajita" tray things, for certain dishes. no one would put a 500 degree porcelain plate on a table in front of a guest. would burn the tablecloth AND the diner!
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Essex County
    Options
    I've been to Ruth's Chris a couple of times many years ago. I remember being very impressed with the steak...and the price. I don't recall a hot plate though.
    paul
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I've been fortunate enough to eat at the Ruth's Chris in Jacksonville, FL twice (on someone else's dime both times). The plates do come hot, but I can't believe they would be 500f.

I was young at the time and didn't know better (my only grill was a cheap gasser back then) so I ordered the filet medium. Cutting into it, it was medium rare but when the slice fell over onto the plate, it did cook some more, right on the plate. The plates seemed to be just heavy duty porcelain of some type, not metal. It was definitely a hot plate, but probably not 500.

That was probably about 10 years ago, so it may have changed some.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • TampaQ
    TampaQ Posts: 40
    Options
    They use a white china plate. The steaks come out with their signature sizzle. They cover the steak with a butter/garlic mixture and it sizzles on the plate. The plate doesn't really hold heat long enought to actually cook the steak much.

Their steaks are excellent and consistant.

http://ruthschris.com/sizzle/tv_commercial.html
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    A few years back we ate in a converted Steak & Ale steak house in Savana GA and the steak was served on a 1 inch thick piece of marble that had been heated in a very hot oven. Kept the meat hot.
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    I have been to RC on several ocassions and have always been served on a white plate that was not hot. One of my suppliers has an annual customer appreciation dinner at the RC in Vegas every year. They serve a good Hunk'o beef but for the money i don't think anyone can top Bern's Steak House in Tampa...................
  • Katodude00
    Options
    They may be 500 degrees when they leave the oven, but cool down pretty quick before they get to the table. I actually heat my plates to 350 degrees in the oven to also get that sizzle when I have guest, and it also helps keep the steak warm. I make sure I have an extra placemat over the tablecloth to make sure I dont damage anything. It will cook the steak slightly but not enough where you have to worry about it.
  • I have to agree, you can't beat Bern's Steakhouse. They have the best, most consistent meat of any Steakhouse I've tried. Ruth's Chris isn't even close, I don't think they are much better than Outback and they are twice the price.
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I believe a steak cooked on the Egg can give RC, Morton's and W&S a run for there money and a lot less expensive.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    couple of thoughts. first i have never been to R.C. but i have been to mortons [$420 for 3]and seafire [at the Atlantis $350] young adult sons are fairly sophisticated eaters and also vocal critics [they get that from my ex--their mother]
    second want to feel good about your egg skills, go to costco buy some choice ribeyes do them right on the egg and hear what i heard "dad, this is better than mortons and seafire"
    priceless.
    bonus points [other than saving a boatload of money??] you can get really $#!+faced and not have to drive home and the $50 bottle of wine at mortons in only 20 bucks

a while back spring chicken [i think] posted a link that listed cooking temps for all the major steak places very interesting
    bill
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    Been to Bern's a few times. I like Charley's in Tampa and a good Green Egg steak anytime.
  • HungryMan
    Options
    Fahita's come out sizzling from Chili's.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Two Prime Rib-Eyes at DaVinci's Meat Market, $40.00..

two large Idaho Baker's at Harris Teeter.. $3.00

Cooking said steak and potato on my BGE .. Priceless..

$350.00 for a dinner for two... I don't think so!!!
  • boogiewoogie
    Options
    John,
    That’s a spot on comment. In fact, I think most anything is better from the egg. I went to RC's a couple of years ago and the steak was served on a hot cast iron fajita pan. By the time I was half way though with my steak, it was overcooked and tough.... I just did not enjoy it, especially for the $$$$ it cost. However, in the year and a half that I have had my egg I’ve found a greater joy in creating and sharing my own masterpieces.
    Frank
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    many say they are cooking at 1800 degrees. well....
    that's of course the temp of the radiant element.

since charcoal burns at 1200 or more, you can safely claim to cook at 1200 even when dome temp is 600. because the dome heat isn't cooking your steak (as much as) the radiant heat of the lump is.

i guess you could even go so far as to say (accurately) that when you are smoking at 250, you can claim to be "smoking at 1200 degrees", because that's the temp of your lump.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    First I have to say after reading all these posts...that I am still working on the 'perfect' steak on the egg..I as I'm sure many others have traveled a lot in my career and eaten at many fine steak houses. I can see the 'potential' of the egg to cook a steak as good as many of these... but I personally have not gotten there yet...but..the quest is nearly as much fun as the end result!!..I continue to try to tweak and hone my steaks to get that just right..crispy smoky exterior and that melt in your mouth interior..as for the 500 degree plates..they are 'heated in a 500 degree oven'..but nowhere near 500d when they bring them out..I ate at RC in Louisville 2 weeks ago..was absolutely a fine steak no doubt..but I DO think I can beat it on the egg.. :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • HungryMan
    Options
    Here is an aged prime ribeye and lettuce out of the earthbox.
    DSC_0259.jpg
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    thanks for saying that clearly. that is the point i was trying to make, but apparently failed to do. let me try again, please. a choice steak done right, one the egg is better than a prime steak at a fancy restaurant.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    First of all my post was a question about the claim stated in a national radio ad about the temperature of the PLATE their steak is served on.

It has been twisted into a thread of Ruth Chris steak vs. BGE steak! Having egged many, many steaks on my eggs for 8 years now I'm quite happy and PROUD of what I can do with my egg. The only reason we still go to a favorite local steakhouse once a year is to confirm I'm still beating them in taste and doing it much cheaper. Granted it's nice for the ambiance and having someone wait on us and then not have to clean up, but hey it recharges my battery knowing my BGE steaks are kicking their tails and at a fraction of the cost!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mark9765
    mark9765 Posts: 122
    Options
    I was watching a steak cooking contest on tv a few weeks back. It seems that they all cooked steaks at 350 degrees. I also have a friend that cooks his @ 400 deg about 7 min on each side for rare. I have tried this several times and the steaks are great. The secret is to start with a good quality extra thick steak and season it the way you like it. I spent $175 a few months ago at RC and it didn't come close to the steaks I bought and cooked myself, and it only cost $12-$15 per steak. One steak can feed two people easly. I'll never waste my money at RC again.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    RRP wrote:
    It has been twisted into a thread of Ruth Chris steak vs. BGE steak!!

hehehe...guess it was bound to happen with this bunch eh? ;) :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • C Rocke
    C Rocke Posts: 3
    Options
    Always hit RC and Morton's in the company dime, and never noticed.

I will say Ol' Hickory at the Gaylord near DFW has been the best restaurant steak I have ever had, hands down. Still, nothing beats the backyard, with a big glass of Bombay Sapphire...
  • lkxnvlzfn/vlZKDFNv
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I guess I'm a little partial to Ruth's Chris Steak House. I had my wedding reception in their banquet hall. It was a sit down affair with each guest getting his choice of meat. All of them came served on a sizzling platter. Don't know if it was 500 deg or not but it sure did burn the heck out of my finger when I touched it. It's also advisable to hold up your napkin when they drop that sucker in front of you. If not then you are going to be splattered with butter and juices. I think they must cook the steak a little underdone and allow the platter to finish it on the way to the table. Mine have always come out perfect in my biased opinion. We still go there for special occasions. I realize I can cook a better steak at home but sometimes it's better to be waited on.

Don't know if you have access to one. I can say that the one on Broad St. in N.O. and the one in Metairie do a steak justice.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    .........without doubt........any of us can do it much better......and without bragging about high temp......bla...bla...bla......and spending on advertising.....only to pass the bill on to the poor customer who hasn´t discovered the egg yet!!!!!!! TG for the egg.....and common sense!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
  • Q-rious Tom
    Q-rious Tom Posts: 116
    Options
    I've eaten at the RC in Philadelphia twice.

The plates were heavy ceramic and very hot - the steak knife they use has a hollow steel handle, and if you rest it on your plate you WILL burn yourself when you pick it up.

The first time I had the NY Strip, medium rare. By the time I got done eating it, it was medium to medium well (absolutely no pink left in the meat). I had the chicken the second time.

Tom