Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast Recipe ?

Artinflorida
Artinflorida Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My Daughter wants me to do a turkey breast on the egg for Easter. I have never cooked one . Do any of you have a recipe and how long should it take?
Thanks in advance. :)
Art

Comments

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Set your Egg up for a indirect cook at 325.Rub olive oil all over the bone in turkey breast and season it all over with your favorite rub inside and out.A five to seven pound breast should take about two hours but keep a eye on the temperature and do not let it get above 160 degrees internal.Pull and let it rest 15to 20 minutes.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    boonesfarm031.jpg

Raised grid indirect with dome temp around 375ish, little pecan and cherry for smoke, rub under the skin but careful with rubs including sugar (turbinado sugar ok) as sugar can burn, 160 internal temp and done.

Prior to putting the breast on, check lump for a burn pattern, if burning toward the back, set thick end toward the back to take the heavy heat while the thin end cooks slower.

Man, I got one more of these in the freeze, may need to do it this weekend. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Here is one I like. I am in Melbooring, where are you?

Turkey, Breast, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    1 6 1/2 Lbs Turkey Breast, Bone In
    Seasoning/Rub
    2 Tbs Lawry's Chicken & Poultry Seasoning
    2 Tbs Paprika, Spanish
    2 Tbs Tone's Garlic & Herb Seasoning
    Basting
    3 Tbs Crushed Garlic
    3-4 Ozs Butter

Preparation
    1 Sprinkled the rub over and inside the skin and let set for 30 minutes
    Cooking
    1 Placed in large BGE, 350°F W/Plate Setter inverted, drip pan with 1 quart water, "V" rack. Placed bird in BGE W/aluminum foil to protect breast. Removed the foil last hour.
    2 Allowed temperature to drop to 300°F and left alone for an hour. Basted after first hour W/Butter/ garlic mixture, continued to baste each half hour for a total cook time of 3 hours. The temperature varied from 275°F-300°F. Pulled @ 168°F internal. Total cooking time 3 hours.
    3 Allowed to sit 45 minutes wrapped in foil. EGGcelent. Leftovers are going to become Eggchiladas W/red sauce.

Preparation time: 30 minutes
    Cooking time: 3 hours
    Ready in: 4 hours

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Poultry

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/04/15

05/22/07-Did another tonight- Only took 2 hours between 275F & 325F. Basted W/Italian Salad Dressing after the first hour. Temp for meat got to 170F and pulled after 2 hours. Used pecan chips for smoke, not soaked. covered with foil whole cook so as not to burn skin. Left the drip pan out of this cook, perhaps that is the reason for the shorter cook time.

oW
  • Hi Richard, I live in W Melb and my office is in Palm Bay.
    Thanks to all of you for the help.
    Art
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    the back end to the high heat. wish i had thought of that. feeling dumb now. more wine will correct that. that is the wonderful thing about this forum ... simple tips that make for perfect results THANKS.
    bill