Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spares - WS Method

Options
Fidel
Fidel Posts: 10,172
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So yesterday I posted that I was resting some spares in some Worcestershire sauce overnight on the recommendation of my WSM buddy.

I smoked them for 6.5 hours at 245 dome over Wicked Good, pecan, and cherry. I glazed them with honey, then finished with Sweet Baby Ray's.

Overall impressions, I can't tell a difference. I can't say that the wooster did anything. I can say that I strongly prefer hickory with ribs. These were mildly flavored and not nearly as smoky as I prefer. Some of the blame is because I used the Wicked Good lump.

They were very tender with a great smoke ring, but the flavor was just a bit on the bland side, even with the JH Pecan Rub and Swamp Venom. Everything tastes better with a good beer though.

Glazed800.jpg

Sauced800.jpg

PlatedRibs800.jpg

SmokeRing800.jpg

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    The still look really good.If you didn't try it,you wouldn't have known.That's why I'm always eggsperimenting. :woohoo: And you are right,it all tastes better with beer. :silly:
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    They sure look good in the pic's Fidel. Maybe the problem is 1 too many or 1 too few of the brews. Maybe 2 vs 2 ?? Looks like a great cook but change the rubs?? I love ribs with a texture as opposed to those that fall off the bone & it looks like you got that. You think it was the smoke or rub?? I'm still & always looking for the perfect ribs & if I ever find it I'll know that I died & went to heaven.

Pat
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Don't get me wrong - they were good - just not great.

I think it is Mad Max that has been posting "If it was all great it would all just be average" - couldn't be more true. These were good by most standards, but not great compared to others I have done in the past.

The texture and "pull" of these was terrific. I just like a bit more smoke flavor in mine. I almost always use hickory and cherry - this time is used pecan. Of course, I prefer Blues Hog sauce but I have been out for a while so I resorted to the Sweet Baby Ray's - that may have influenced my opinion too.

Always learning and trying to improve.....the fun is in trying new things.
  • KC
    KC Posts: 91
    Options
    Fidel,
    They look fantastic and I must admit I am intrigued by the introduction of WS. I think the next time I cook ribs I will give 'em a good "rub down" with a heavy dose of WS and then do the mustard followed by the dry rub. It will be a week or 2 before I get to it due to out of town travel but if tastes significantly better I will let you know.

Thanks for introducing the idea.... you are right - trying new stuff and contstantly trying to kick it up a notch is what makes eggin' fun.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Great pics, Fidel! That is one awesome smoke ring you got on the ribs, too.