Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temperature regulating

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've used my egg only a few times so far, but I keep running into the same problem, and that is regulating the temp AFTER it has run up above say,, 500 degrees. What is the best and quickest way of getting to your cooking temp if it's 300 degrees.
Thanks for any tips.

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Jarrell Conley,
    Are you saying you get the egg up to 500 and then want to cook at 300? The best way to get the egg to any temperature is to start closing down the vents BEFORE you get to the cook temperature. It is very hard to get the egg to cool off if you have gotten it hot. Usually, you can cool things down when you add more lump or add the food, but it is always easier to heat it up than cool it down.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Thanks Whiz. I'll do just that. Easier up than down!
    Jarrell

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    200º is a lot to knock down. You're sure right about starting before you get to target. But when I've gone past I can drop a hundred degrees pretty well just by leaving the dome open for a few mins. (If there's a large amount of flavor wood it tends to catch fire, but shutting down top and bottom when you put the dome down extinguishes that. Then reopen just enough to keep things going.)