Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker Probe Calibration Question

Options
Sandlapper
Sandlapper Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone had any experience with calibrating stoker temp probes? I have one that is 20 degrees off the others. Does this have to be re-done by the factory?

Celtic Wolf I noticed you were moving to DigiQ's. I am happy with the stoker but was thinking about doing the same. While there is yet to be web based contraols like the Stoker, (which I still prefer) I was told by Fred that I could use the ProComm handheld pendant to monitor multiple digiQ's. Can't make changes but monitoring feature is pretty cool.

Dr BBQ I like the Stoker but I am sold on the higher rev fans no matter the setup. Like CW I am glad that John now offers the 10 versus the 5.

Thanks

Comments

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    I haven't experienced any pit probe discrepancies thus far.

I prefer the 5 cfm fans for the large as opposed to the larger 10 cfm, you tend to get ash blown around in your pot with a bigger fan. The fan really doesn't run that much on a long cook anyway, my findings anyway.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Grill With Bill
    Options
    It's actually fairly easy to recalibrate the Stoker probes. They don't need to be sent back to the factory, you can do it at home. In reality, you're not really recalibrating the probes themselves, you're changing a number in the stoker's flash memory which the stoker adds to whatever number it reads from the probe.

The instructions are in the manual so I won't repeat them here. But there's nothing to be afraid of. It's very simple.

Bill
  • The instructions were very vague but then the manual I have is between 2-3 years old. So if the factory calibration number is 32 and the delta is 10 I just bump it via the control panel to 42 right? Thanks
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i have no idea about the stoker!!!

BYC i was wondering what happened to you.. send me an email i lost all of my email addresses when the computer crashed and since you are posting as a guest i can't do it from here either.... we have a new egger in G'ville goes by the name: miles of smiles... works at a dealership in simpsonville and is a very nice fellow. his son has a resturant in downtown G'ville i am not sure what the name of the resturant is.......

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Hey Terry--Hope all is well. I think the login/guest thing is resolved now. If not davidleehooper@comcast.net. BTW there is an SCBA competition in Travelers Rest this year. I will send dates. Should be a fun competition. We are also doing Hartwell.

Hope all is well--David