Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Emergency: Short cook time on brisket??

Options
omahaegger
omahaegger Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, I posted a topic earlier, but I need more looks and fast, so I'm making a new topic. Anyway, it's my first double cook, 12.3 lbs brisket and 6.5 lbs butt, with the butt over the brisket and dripping onto it. Anyway, I put them on about 11 hours ago, the butt just hit 200 degrees and I pulled it. I thought I was having a temp reading issue with the brisket, but with two different thermometers, I'm getting reading on the brisket of 200-205 everywhere I poke it. So basically this 12 lbs brisket cooked to done in 11 hours, that is about half the time that my last one took. The dome temp was between 220-240 the whole cook, not sure if that is possible that it's done. I finally found one spot in the brisket that was 190 and I'm watching that for now. Should I pull it now and let it rest or what, give me some advice please.

Comments

• Hustling Hare
    Options
    That is pretty fast. You're sure the dome temp guage is calibrated properly? It's, of course, too lat for this one but you should check. Did you observe the dwell time at about 160 deg for a few hrs? The real test is to take a meat fork and stick it into the meat. If it turns easily, the brisket is done. It's possible that it's ok, not all briskets are alike. I wouldn't go too much longer and to a higher temperature or it will be dry for sure.
  • omahaegger
    Options
    Well I think I figured out why my brisket cooked so fast. I put my dome probe in boiling water and it only read 150-160, so that means I was cooking at 280-300 dome temp, that would explain why it cooked so fast. I just cut it up and pulled some, and it is still very tender, we'll see when everyone goes to eat it.

How often are you suppose to check your dome temp probe for accuracy?? My last cook dropped to 210 or so dome temp overnight and that would have been 250 or so dome, so maybe that's why that one cooked in a regular amount of time. Oh well, lesson learned.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    Sorry I'm late to the party. I usually calibrate my thermo any time I have a long cook to do. Brisket and butts qualify. Hopefully it passed the fork test and you have it resting in some aluminum foil with some towels wrapped around it. It may still be OK and should last this way for a few hours.
  • Hustling Hare
    Options
    Mike in Abita may be right and cautious. His advice is probably good to follow. I'm lazy. I find that the thermometer pretty much holds its calibration unless I take the egg past the top of the thermometer's scale as in a high temp steak sear. For me, that will mess up the thermometer nearly every time.

Hope it's still good. Probably is, the egg is so forgiving.

HH
  • omahaegger
    Options
    Yeah, it turned out alright, it's still really tender, but it got done about 10 hours before the party was gonna start, so I pulled it apart and cut up the brisket and put it in the fridge. I'm just gonna have to reheat it before the party. I'm hoping it still is good, seems to be.