Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Turkey question

Options
Smokin Kansas
Smokin Kansas Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone had any experience smoking a turkey? I have never done one before and would like to know if there is any "gotchas" that I need to be aware of? I assume 225 until it has reached an internal temp. 190. thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    check out the pages and recipes for doing turkey. it is an easy cook and well worth it. i do mine at 325-350 grate and they come out fabulous. use a little Pecan wood if you have it or fruit woods work well also. some people brine their birds before cooking and some not. it is a matter of personal preference and practice makes perfect.if you are doing a whole bird vs a breast the times are different.

DSC_6920.jpg
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I have two favorite recipes for smoked turkey. The first one is actually for fresh bone-in turkey breast (not boneless breasts that most places sell). For me, this is the perfect size for our family, although it is only white meat.
    100_7062applewoodturkey.jpg

Applewood Smoked Turkey Breast Recipe here
    Note that this recipe was how I did it on my offset smoker last year; however, it should work the same with the egg, with the exception of not having to add wood chips so often.

My favorite whole turkey recipe is this one from Southern Living a few years ago,

Hickory Smoked Bourbon Turkey
    Yields: 12

Ingredients

1 turkey
    2 cups maple syrup
    1 cup bourbon
    1 teaspoon pickling spice
    Hickory wood chunks
    1 carrot
    1 celery rib
    1 onion
    1 lemon
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons pepper
    Garnishes: mixed greens

Instructions
    Remove giblets and neck from turkey; reserve for other uses, if desired. Rinse turkey thoroughly with cold water, and pat dry. Add water to a large stockpot, filling half full; stir in maple syrup, bourbon, and pickling spice. Add turkey and, if needed, additional water to cover. Cover and chill turkey 2 days. Soak hickory wood chunks in fresh water at least 30 minutes. Prepare charcoal fire in smoker; let fire burn 20 to 30 minutes. Remove turkey from water, discarding water mixture; pat dry. Cut carrot and celery in half crosswise. Stuff cavity with carrot, celery, and onion. Pierce lemon with a fork; place in neck cavity. Combine salt and pepper; rub mixture over turkey. Fold wings under, and tie legs together with string, if desired. Drain wood chunks, and place on coals. Place water pan in smoker, and add water to depth of fill line. Place turkey in center of lower food rack; cover with smoker lid. Cook 6 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion of turkey thigh registers 180°, adding additional water, charcoal, and wood chunks as needed. Remove from smoker, and let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Garnish, if desired.

Southern Living
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Smokin Kansas
    Options
    Thank you for your response! Good looking bird you got there.
  • Smokin Kansas
    Options
    Thank you for your response! Good looking bird you got there.
  • Smokin Kansas
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I do believe that I will just do a couple of breast as well. The recipe sounds wonderful.
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    I have smoked 1 a year for many years.

I smoke them @ 225 to 250 until the internal temp eaches 180.

I always use a Spanek, vertical tower & let the juices run onto the coals. We never save or use them.

About 5 or 7 years ago, we discovered the range raised, original turkey from western Kansas. I have paid $7/lb in the early days but they now sell for about $5 here in Metro Kansas City.

My family no longer will eat the 50 cents butter ball birds.

The other fowl we cook vertically are game hens & capons as opposed to chicken fryers.
  • Smokin Kansas
    Options
    Thanks for the info! Do you find that all parts of teh turkey are done and not dry...as the breast is dry while the thighs are juicy? BTW...use to live in KC...Where do you find the range raised? Is there a place in KC that gets them, or do you order then from West Ks?