Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking a Leg of Lamb?

Options
Franco
Franco Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried one of these a while back and it was so-so. Any ideas on how to cook one that's tasty?[p]Thanks, Frank

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Franco,[p]Make a paste of crushed garlic, Dijon mustard, soy sauce, olive oil and chopped rosemary. Spread this on the leg a few hours before cooking.[p]Set the leg on a rack over a small drip pan, and set the pan directly on the grill. Dome temp of 350. Take the leg off when the internal temp hits 125 - for medium rare - and let it rest 15 minutes before slicing. I like lamb with light smoke only, if at all - a chunk of sugar maple, or a few sprigs of rosemary tossed on the coals.[p]Cathy
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Cat,
    You didn't make it either? We had a concert at the grandchildrens school and I love going to them. I am going to make a supreme effort to get to Atlanta though. And will your boss consider giving you time for the fall Fest? I've not done the Atlanta Fest.
    Hope all is well[p]Carey

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Hi Carey![p]No, my whole family was in town from Denver. But in the Eggfest spirit, I had them all over for dinner last night.[p]I hope to make Atlanta...[p]Cathy
  • Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    Franco,
    Saw your posting but waited to answer until I had done another lug o' lamb. Saturday, I mixed up some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, and just a bit of msg. I put the leg in a two-gallon zip-lock and poured this mixture over it. Sorry, I don't measure anything. Along with the leg, I had a lamb shank that I threw in with it. I marinated in all night, turning it over when I thought about it. The husband put it on the Egg at 475 for 10 minutes and then got it down to 350, cooked it about 1 1/2 hours and it was delicious. Oh, I threw a whole, un-peeled onion on the coals as I had been reading about that on the Forum. For some reason, the smell I got was that of burned onion! But the lamb was scrumptious. We used one of the Taylor disposable sensors to check for doneness and took it off when it read medium, wrapped it in foil and took it to a party. I can't wait to do another one.....when I catch legs on sale, I plan to put several in my freezers. Don't give up on the lamb!