Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tomorrow's gonna be fun

Options
Fidel
Fidel Posts: 10,172
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Trying something a little different with some spares. I trimmed them St. Louis style, then rubbed them with a little mustard and Worcestershire sauce. A buddy of mine who is a die hard WSM user sold me on it so I decided to give it a try. He swears by the mustard/Worcestershire slather overnight.

Hit them with some John Henry Pecan Rub and Swamp Venom - and into the fridge for the long cold rest until they meet a fire or Wicked Good, cherry, and pecan wood tomorrow around 10:00 am.

StLouisTrimmed800.jpg

RubbedforRest800.jpg

Comments

• Now that looks DAMN good!

I have read about mustard on ribs many times. From a culinary view, I just don't get it, but am willing to try anything once. Let us know how the end result is.

Jeff
  • Fidel
    Options
    I do the mustard every time on pork ribs and butts. This is the first time I have add the Wooster.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    i havent tried the W sauce fidel..but excellent combo w/the JH pecan and swamp venom..I love both of those rubs!!...think you'll be very satisified ;)
  • KC
    KC Posts: 91
    Options
    Fidel,
    W sauce sounds like a good idea. Do you mix the mustard/W Sauce together and then slather? What's the method? I want to give it a try.
  • Fidel
    Options
    Slathered with mustard, then splashed on a little wooster, then rubbed it in. Then added the rubs.

It is wrapped in saran and foil overnight and I will rub a little more before tossing on the egg in the morning.

I'll post results when they are done tomorrow night. I do not plan to foil, but I will mist throughout the cook.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Hey Jeff. I think the mustard does not much more than gives the rub something to hold on to. I have used it several times and as far as I'm concerned it just adheres the rub. I just use enough to lightly coat the ribs, brisket, butt, etc. and then apply the rub. Others say it helps break down collingen etc. but I can't verify this. I do use Frenchs lightly though. Those with more experience may feel differently.
  • KC
    KC Posts: 91
    Options
    Let us know how it turns out. This really sounds like something I want to try on ribs. Did the guy that told you about usiing W sauce on ribs say if he's tried it on pork buttt?
  • Fidel
    Options
    No, but I didn't ask him either.

I wouldn't doubt it would be good as an ingredient in an injection though.
  • Fidel
    Options
    I normally use Dizzy Dust with a little Jamaican Firewalk. I like a hint of heat on ribs.

I think this will be prety similar, but I tend to use the JH whenever I use pecan wood. I hope they turn out as good as my buddy says.