Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any ideas for cooking Possum?

Options
Smokey
Smokey Posts: 2,468
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night, one of our dogs (Rhodesian Ridgeback) went into the backyard and started running around wildly. When I went to see what she was doing, I found she had caught a possum. I don’t know of she killed it or not. There was no blood, but the possum was just lying there (maybe playing possum). I’ll go check this morning, but it could be a great cook (friends coming over tonight) … just kidding.[p]smokey.gif

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Smokey,[p]Skin him out gut him and hang him for a day or two. Brine the little sucker salt and pepper inside and out and Egg him at 350º to 375º till tender.Or the juices run clear.
    How the heck would you NOT treat yourself to 'possum. The babies (get them in the early spring) can be done at high heat and quickly VERY tender and neat for appetizers.[p];>)

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Smokey,[p]I think Nick @ Nite has the Beverly Hillbillies on every night and Granny has many recipes for possum. None are cooked on a ceramic cooker but maybe you can interpolate. [p]Has your diner been MICHELIN TENDERIZED already?? If so it could be fork tender - yummmm[p]enjoy[p]Tim
  • Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    Smokey,
    You guys are sick!!! Don't you know that you cannot eat a possum unless you have penned him up and fed him on corn for about a month? Whoever heard of cooking and eating one just right off the ground? Ya'll are a riot!

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    Smokey,
    Opossum eat corn?
    [/b]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    jwitheld,
    the ones around here step right up and eat the shelled corn I put out for deer - difference is possums eat corn - but I don't eat possum!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    Smokey,[p]Lots of laughs here, but possum is pretty good eating although a bit greasy. Never cooked one personally, but have eaten several. Not a hunter so I don't know about skinning/gutting critters but once that's done soak it for 24 hours in milk then treat it like a pork butt.[p]As a kid (first grade) my father was involved in writing a book on possums. We had several as "pets" while Dad did his reasearch. Possums'll eat darn near anything as they are scavengers. That fact will make the meat taste pretty gamey, although the suggestion of "corn fed" (Sorry Cornfed) possum would mitagate that.[p]Now Ladies, skip this part....[p][p][p][p]When and/or if you get the possum dressed, and if it's a male, save the penis bone. Black powder rifle shooters (and yes, Dad was one of those too) love them for making lock picks. They also make necklaces out of them. (And here's a whole new world of weirdness for you: "Are you just happy to see me or is that a possum penis around your neck?") Think I'm kidding? Afraid not.[p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO
    (Afraid that I've set back the state a century)

• Bigfoot
    Bigfoot Posts: 154
    Options
    Kelly Keefe, I do a lot of black powder shooting and I would love to have that possum penis bone for a vent prick for my .54 Landcaster. You could post it on ebay it would sell.[p]

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Smokey,
    First, get yourself a Possum Sitter and a can of beer....

• Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    Options
    Gretl,[p]I seen them possum sitters right next to the left-handed bacon stretchers t'other day! LOL[p]--Kevin