Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: hope those in the ATL are ok

Buster Dog BBQ
Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just watching the news about the tornado that went through Atlanta. Hope all of you in the area are ok.

Comments

• Not a nice thing those twisters. Who invited them to the party?
  • I'm temporarily living at my parent's house on the NE side of the city. We had some pretty good thunder and lightening here but no wind damage. But tornados and microbursts are often so unpredictable.

I guess that's one more good thing about the BGE, it would take a really big wind to blow one over! :laugh:
  • mojopin
    mojopin Posts: 200
    Me too, are all of our Atlanta eggfriends ok? The damage looks extensive on the internet. They might all not even have power back yet.

I hope everyone lets us know when the are finally able to log back on!

All my best,
    Jill
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I contacted John from BGE and he told me downtown Atlanta got a pretty good amount of damage, but the BGE building received no damage...and to the best of his knowledge, none of the BGE employees suffered any damage either....Thanks for posting this as I was not aware that it had even happened.....Hopefully they can recover quickly....
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    The official word is that it was an EF-2 tornado. The only saving grace was that it hit right in the heart of downtown with all the high rises which they are saying mitigated the force and the damage. It could have been much worse in a more residential area with large trees and smaller buildings. I have a good friend that lives about 5 miles east of downtown and he was right in the path of the storms but only got hail and high winds, no damages. Seems the twister pulled up roots after it hit the cabbagetown area bout a mile east of the CNN center and Georgia Dome area. The Georgia Dome and Philips arena were both full of 15,000 people each when it happened for a Hawks game and the SEC basketball tournament. 30 minutes later and there would have been 20,000+ people in the streets and on the roads when it hit.

There is another even stronger band of storms headed our way in a couple hours, that appear to be headed right for my area of town - north of the BGE building. We are under a tornado watch until 7:00pm so my plans for deep dish are off, but I have spares and a corned beef to do tomorrow so all is not lost.

Thanks for checking in on us Atlanta folk.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Be safe out there guys...we're always getting the tornado watches here in Central TX year after year, and wish you guys the best. Be safe out there.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    It ain't over yet!!!!!!!!!!! :ohmy:
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    Hunker down people. It's comin to S. C. We're next in line. So Hunker down.