Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini / Small

KC
KC Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large egg and now have the itch to get another egg. I have not priced the mini or the small but I wanted to get input from those of you who have one or both of them. What do you primarily use them for and which one would you recommend? Also what is the approximate difference in price? Thanks

Comments

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    If I were hauling an egg around for me and my wife [camping, yada-yada] I'd get a mini.

I have a small [and love it], and love it. It's not too big to haul relatively easily... and can handle a lot more than the mini.

~ B

B)
  • If I remember right, the mini is a 9" grate and the small is a 13". My next purchase will be a small, perfect for a couple of steaks or a few burgers etc.
    Large BGE and a couple non-greenies
    Roanoke TX
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    I had a LBGE as my first egg and went with the small for my 2nd. Primarily I wanted it when it was just me and the wiffie and I wanted a quick fire to make a couple of steaks and taters or some burgers, etc...it's a great addition to the LBGE. Haven't hauled it anywhere yet, but dont think it would be much trouble. As for price, I'm not sure. Probably 200-300 bux diff??
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Small.. use it all single cooks (just me), searing steaks. cooking competition chicken and letting chubby burn stuff
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    I've got the LBGE/SBGE combination, and I really like the small egg, because it can do the same thing the large can do, and the temps go up/come down much faster. I've also got the plate setter for the SBGE, so indirect is not a challenge and I use it as my primary cooker for small cooks.
  • I had the same question about a year ago and found that the Small would be best for my needs. It's still on my wish list.

The small is portable enough to take with you on vacation, but large enough to cook on for the 4 of us. If I was cooking only for me and Mrs, the mini would suffice.

At first I was intrigued by the mini. Thinking it was only 30 lbs and about the size of a basketball I could easily bring it anywhere. But I got a couple paper plates, one 9" and one 13" and saw that the Small is as small as I can go right now.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    I think I paid $320 for my small from the mothership.It came with ash tool,grid lifter,bag of lump,bge starters,and an egghead hat.I just saw a mini at my local dealer for $229 Including stand.I don't know how much a small sells for now,but I think it's worth it for the size difference.I can cram a bunch of abts in the small.You can also get a platesetter for the small.Sometimes I cook the main meal on the small and side dishes on the medium.I hope you enjoy it either way you go. :)
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I have a large and a small. It is pretty easy to take on road trips. The mini would be cool, but I think you will get more use out of a small.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    The best combination is
    LBGE (after year of convincing wife)
    LBGE (with intent to do cookoffs)
    SBGE (for camping or small cooks at home)
    SBGE (then sell small to newly addicted neighbor)
    XLBGE (wish with thought to sell a large to newly addicted neighbor who now wants another)

but only in that order :-)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    all good points, bobb-o.

what i also found was that i could do about 90% of my cooking for the family on the small , too. the only reason i don't use it more often is that the large lights a bit more quickly unless you keep the small scrupulously clean. and i have YET to build my little brick table thing, so my small is sitting on the ground, which is just low enough to nudge me toward the large most of the time. still, at easter, when i'm doing multiple roasts and veggies, i will certainly be firing it up.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I have a large, medium and mini.

I use the mini for steaks and chops, sausages and dogs, burgers, and small pieces of salmon. I also use it when my wife takes the kids to visit her parents and it is just me. It does a heck of a job on a porterhouse.

If you plan to cook for more than 2 people - the mini will frustrate you. It is a great searing machine so I use it as a grill. I have never used it as a smoker - but I know some people do. With other eggs in the arsenal it is just easier to use them instead.

The mini lights very quickly and gets up to temp in a jiffy.

I think the difference in price is about $100-125.
  • I have both the small and the mini. I got the small first. If it is an either/or proposition, go with the small. It can do so much more, and so much easier, than the mini. The mini is just plain cool to have. One real steak at a time, or two little ones will fit. Several mini-sliders ala-Wessb will fit. We use it for 10-12 ABTS at a time. It really is fun to have, especially if one already has the option to bump-up a size, if required. The mini can pretty much be carried around in a gym bag. I do not regret at all purchasing one.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    mini sits right next to the back door. use it all the time . grill sausage asparagus etc. i have smoked cheese on it and done 2.5 lbs of beef ribs for 5 hours.

mini002.jpg

these are LARGE breasts

smokedcheeseandchicken011.jpg

smokedcheeseandchicken012.jpg

i am thinking about a small but my current setup works for me the most i cook for is 3
    bill
  • KC
    KC Posts: 91
    Thanks for the helpful input from everyone. Based on your input I think the small would best suit my needs. I need the egg and the nest. Now to watch for a sale at my local BGE dealer. ;)